What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant remember iPad PIN need advice on resetting it

ryanlondonuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been going through a process of lcean out and tidying. I tend to re-install my Windows OS every years or so and clean up and organise my files. In the same process, I thought of adding more security to my iPad, where there was no PIN code in the past I added a PIN code. No I can't remember it. To mak matters worse, as I rebuilt or re installed my PC my iPad is not synched to any PC. I am not so worried about the data, as I have a paid Dropbox account where everything sits. However, I want to know, how can I unlock my iPad? I don't care about the data, I just want to get in. I am happy to reset if I have to. Please help or advise if you can.

Thanks.

Ryan

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ryanlondonuk said:
Hello All,

I have been going through a process of lcean out and tidying. I tend to re-install my Windows OS every years or so and clean up and organise my files. In the same process, I thought of adding more security to my iPad, where there was no PIN code in the past I added a PIN code. No I can't remember it. To mak matters worse, as I rebuilt or re installed my PC my iPad is not synched to any PC. I am not so worried about the data, as I have a paid Dropbox account where everything sits. However, I want to know, how can I unlock my iPad? I don't care about the data, I just want to get in. I am happy to reset if I have to. Please help or advise if you can.

Thanks.

Ryan

I'm afraid that if you can't remember your password, there is no way of getting past it or of recovering it. You will have to reset it to factory settings, losing anything stored on it. To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. If you don't have a backup, you will have to set it up as a new iPad, adding your apps, music, movies, TV shows and book s from your purchased lists.

OP
R

ryanlondonuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said I dont care about losing the data as most of it is on Dropbox. However, even though this PC is not linked or synched with this iPad, will it allow me to go to "Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings". Sorry to ask the same question again, are you definitely sure I can reset it with a PC that is not linked or synched with it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ryanlondonuk said:
As I said I dont care about losing the data as most of it is on Dropbox. However, even though this PC is not linked or synched with this iPad, will it allow me to go to "Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings". Sorry to ask the same question again, are you definitely sure I can reset it with a PC that is not linked or synched with it?

You don't need to do it from a PC at all, just do it from settings on the iPad. Once the iPad is erased, and your PC has the latest version of iTunes installed and is authorized on your iTunes account, you can download all the content from your iTunes purchased lists and sync to your iPad to transfer whatever content you choose to your iPad during your first sync.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't need to do it from a PC at all, just do it from settings on the iPad. Once the iPad is erased, and your PC has the latest version of iTunes installed and is authorized on your iTunes account, you can download all the content from your iTunes purchased lists and sync to your iPad to transfer whatever content you choose to your iPad during your first sync.

Except if he can't remember his pin to log in, he can't get to the Settings app...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Except if he can't remember his pin to log in, he can't get to the Settings app...

Correct, in that case, what he has to do is download the latest version of iTunes onto his computer and authorize his computer in his iTunes account. He can. Then connect the iPad to the computer, select his iPad in devices, go into settings and erase all content and settings. Once erased, he can set up his iPad as a new iPad and begin re-downloading the content from the purchased lists.

OP
R

ryanlondonuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57, then that's what I will do. If I have any problems I will let you know. Thanks for all your help.

OP
R

ryanlondonuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have downloaded iTunes and authorised the computer but it is not giving a reset option. Please help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ryanlondonuk said:
Hi, I have downloaded iTunes and authorised the computer but it is not giving a reset option. Please help.

Have you connected your iPad to the computer and has iTunes recognized it? Once recognized, you should be able to click on devices and select you iPad. You should then have an option to reset the iPad.

OP
R

ryanlondonuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get the following message on iTines: "iTunes could no connect to the iPad because it's locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes" thats the exact words of the pop up.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ryanlondonuk said:
I get the following message on iTines: "iTunes could no connect to the iPad because it's locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes" thats the exact words of the pop up.

I did some more research and found out that you have to connect your iPad to the same PC you last synced with, in order to reset the iPad. You won't be able to do the reset unless you can connect to the PC you last synced with. Here's the link that explains it.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4539227?start=0&tstart=0

Follow the advice in this link about going into recovery mode, since you aren't using the same computer you last synced your iPad with, it's the only method left for you to restore your iPad to factory settings.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts