1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Can't move Newsstand into a Group.

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by OrlandoDude, Oct 22, 2011.

1. OrlandoDude

OrlandoDude iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On iPad 1 I can't move Newsstand into a Group.

When 'jiggling' the groups move out of the way to avoid it...

Anybody else seen this?
  2. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    The newsstand is a group into itself. A newspaper app, like NY Times, will move itself to the newsstand when you update it.
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Folders can't be 'nested' in the iPad, so you can't have a folder within a folder.

Tim
  4. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    The simple answer is no as another user stated it is a group.
  5. DDawm

DDawm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It can be done -not sure where I read it.Move newsstand together with 2 others you wish to put into a group.They need to be next to each other.Join the other 2 together and while they are still "jiggling" move newsstand over them and it will take up .It takes a few goes but it does work(I have done it)
  6. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Don't do it. It will corrupt the file system and no one knows the side effects - other than the iPad crashing when you try to access Newsstand while in another folder...

Very dangerous bug in my opinion as an experienced iOS application developer. You are playing iPad Roulette... Could corrupt backups, brick your phone requiring a restore (from that corrupt backup...), conflict with temp file cleanup, etc.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I've moved Newsstand, Game Center, Photo Booth and FaceTime into one folder, because I don't use them.

I have subscriptions that go into Newsstand, but I'd rather read them via Web, rather than app.
  8. OrlandoDude

OrlandoDude iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks all...

I'll just didn't want it and was trying to hide it away as I can't be deleted.

Freedom of choice is a wonderfully thing but only if one can get it.

POI
  9. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Unfortunately, that option is not necessarily viable if you happen to read a publication that has been abducted by Newsstand. (e.g. the New Yorker.) My only option is to subscribe to the print edition and get both the web edition and iPad app free of charge. But if I subscribe to the iPad app the web edition is not available as part of that subscription.
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Lol, "abducted" is a great way to describe Newsstanded publications. I'd suggest that you lobby magazines for non-app versions that include full coverage. That way, you'd get to read the whole enchilada, and they could charge you a subscription without giving Apple a cut.

Reading the New Yorker via Web is plenty for me. The current issue has a George Clooney story that is 10 screens long. Really? Seems like a good guy who also can act, but I'm not 10 pages' worth of interested. Many New Yorker articles strike me that way, unfortunately. (I used to read them for free, because a friend always passed on his print editions.)

With the NYT, I deleted the app and just read online, using my subscription, for instance.
  11. singlestick

singlestick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Different strokes for different folks. I subscribe to the New Yorker, but I am not always in a place where I have Web access, and so it is useful to be able to access an archived edition of the magazine. The app includes audio and video extras that may appeal to some people. If I am interested in a particular article (e.g., a recent article on drug legalization in Portugal) then I don't care how long it is.
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I'm all for choice, which Newsstand basically doesn't allow, lol.

For international coverage, I much prefer the Economist, the NYT/IHT and the Financial Times. I admit I tend to go light on cultural/features coverage. If I have time, I might read some, if not, oh well.

I still take the Economist in print (with free online access), because there are times when print is better, like when on a plane about to take off or land, lol.
  13. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I have several subscriptions that I have that I wish would go onto Newsstand. There are things that are not practical for the programmers to do, and pleasing everyone is part of the issue. And then you have to deal with the issue that most app programmers are not up to the task of a full feature app. The companies hire somebody to come in and create an app like every other app. The type of app where they take a generic template and add a few details to get by.
  14. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Supporting Newsstand is very simple. Ask your subscription services to do so in their next update
  15. singlestick

singlestick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    This really is not about Newsstand. The app versions of the Economist and the New Yorker were available before Newsstand came along. And I don't see that print is better when I can have multiple editions of The Economist loaded on my iPad to have with me on the plane, which I regularly do. I couldn't see the point of lugging extra paper around, or having to depend on getting an Internet connection to read it on the Web.

But as I said, different strokes for different folks.
  16. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I've never lugged around the Economist; a single issue is pretty thin, lol. I bring the latest copy and my iPad has a bunch of other content, of course, when on a plane. Let's say the plane is taking off or landing, that's when print is readable and digital isn't.

The Newsstand complaint basically is lack of choice for certain content. The NYT, Financial Times and Economist, for example, have online content that isn't locked to an app. Sounds like the New Yorker is not accessible in the same way, if you want all its content, so you're stuck with using Newsstand.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  17. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Just to clarify. If an app for a publication is available on the iPad Apple gets 30% of the subscription price, a deal similar to other apps in the Apple App Store. That's true whether the publication is part of "Newsstand," or not. The major advantage of an app (Newsstand enabled or not) is the local archiving features the app typically provides. This can be duplicated to some extent by third party apps (e.g. instapaper) that archive web-based content (assuming it is available). Otherwise, the only advantage is a user experience optimized for the iPad.

The only difference between the New Yorker as an app on the iPad (prior to iOS 5) and the New Yorker as a hostage of "Newsstand" is that I must now have an ugly icon with an extra step involved to access my subscription. Conde Nast paid Apple the same 30% for iPad access that it now pays for inclusion in Newsstand. Newsstand is nothing more than an electronic Apple version of Publishers Clearing House, the equivalent of junk mail that clutters up my screen rather than filling my mailbox. The only difference is that I can't win millions of dollars by using "Newsstand."
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Agreed about Newsstand functionality or lack of, depending on user preference.

I think it's smart for publications to want exposure to the iOS market, but the smarter ones will have a wider strategy of creating non-iOS apps as well, to give readers choice. In such cases, the publication can collect 100% of subscription fees, rather than splitting with Apple. The Financial Times does that with an iOS app, as well as its own Web app, for example. That approach also gives the publisher direct access to readers' info, which is a valuable commodity.

The New Yorker and other pubs could do likewise, which would allow readers to skip Newsstand altogether if they liked.
  19. singlestick

singlestick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It's very informative to learn about other people's travel choices. I load up all my books on the Kindle app, and archive magazines on various iPad apps. I don't want to have any physical copies of anything when I travel, not even for the brief segments of takeoff and landing. Sometimes I would leave a book or magazine in a coffee shop or my room. Now I just have to remember not to forget my iPad.

The Newsstand is just a new access portal. It does not affect the functionality of the New Yorker in any way. I think the Kindle Fire is going to use a variation of a Newsstand as well.

Some publishers try to make their publications available everywhere, a very smart move. But one oddity I ran across not too long ago was a daily newspaper that was available on the native Kindle device, but not on the Kindle app for either iOS or Android.
  20. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    It's a long-term commitment for publishers to distribute their content over multiple platforms, including not just building and distributing apps, but maintaining customer support and continuing updates. They also end up having to split their revenue with multiple companies. That's why a Web app is appealing.