What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Move App Icons

Cipher2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suddenly on my iPad 3 I am unable to move icons between screens. When I move one to the edge of the screen as I used to it just flys back to its current location. I can't find a setting that I could have made to cause this. There is room on the pages for app icons and there is a blank page I can't move to as well. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this. TIA

Andy

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There should not be a blank page. If you emptied a page it should disappear.

You can create a new page in iTunes.

You can use the dock to move apps. Drag to the dock, then go to the page you want it moved to and drag it into place.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just did some playing. Getting the apps jiggling creates a blank page. Didn't realize that.

Looks like nothing is wrong. Probably using the dock is the best bet as its less fiddly.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cipher2012 said:
Suddenly on my iPad 3 I am unable to move icons between screens. When I move one to the edge of the screen as I used to it just flys back to its current location. I can't find a setting that I could have made to cause this. There is room on the pages for app icons and there is a blank page I can't move to as well. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this. TIA

Andy

The best thing I can recommend is rebooting your iPad using the power and home button simultaneously, if this still doesn't work backup all of your data onto you laptop/computer and restore it. Also if your storage on your iPad is full this may cause speed problems and also ensure you don't have hundreds of apps open, to close them, double tap the home button and close them as you would delete a normal app, or you can use the 4 finger slide to bring up the open app tray.

The iDevice Guru

OP
Cipher2012

Cipher2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I'll give these suggestions a try

Andy

OP
Cipher2012

Cipher2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rebooting did not help but moving via the dock does so I'll let it ride for now. Thanks again all.

Andy

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cipher2012 said:
Rebooting did not help but moving via the dock does so I'll let it ride for now. Thanks again all.

Andy

Glad we could help. To move multiple apps you can put them into a folder, put the folder into the dock and spread the apps around pages as you choose.

Most reactions

Latest posts