What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant get rid of Chinese place names in maps app?

mandingo7734

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, when I use the map app on the iPad 2 the place names have both English and chinese. I think it might be because I installed the Chinese keyboards but it wont go away even when I uninstall them. It's not really a bit deal but it's a little annoying. Thanks in advance.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're talking about the iPad native map, there's no way to turn off the Chinese characters, as far as I know. They're part of the maps themselves. It has nothing to do with which keyboard you installed.

The good thing is, if you ever need to show a Chinese cabbie where you're going, he doesn't have to read English. Lol.

OP
M

mandingo7734

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it's the same for everyone or just iPads bought in china?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought both of my iPads in the U.S. and have never loaded the Chinese keyboard, but when I use the native map app to look up places in Hong Kong or mainland China, they all display in Chinese and English.

My region format (currently set to the U.S.) appears to make no difference. When in Hong Kong or mainland China, I reset the region accordingly, but that doesn't add Chinese to U.S. maps.

The maps are from Google Maps. They're the same ones you get when you google via a PC, for instance. They display Chinese and English that way, too.

Last edited:
OP
M

mandingo7734

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, you thought right. The Chinese shows up on english speaking countries as well and my region is set to the us. Can't figure it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I have to admit that if it's not the Region or Language settings, I'm stumped. I only see dual names in different alphabets when looking at countries with languages that don't use the english alphabet. Chinese in China, Cyrillic in Russia, etc.

elsalteno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mandingo7734 said:

I bought my iPad in China and I have the same problem, I even contacted apple but they gave no solution to the problem. On top of the language issue the "Chinese" version of maps doesn't have the hybrid or terrain options... If anyone finds a way to fix it, let me know. Thanks

Most reactions