What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get my ipad2 to charge on the computer.

lonlon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Got my IPad 2 as a gift and I love it. I'm a speech therapist and I usenit everyday for work bit I can't get it to charge on the computer. I've tries my PC and two laptops and the not charging sign always comes up. Anybody having the same issue or have any ideas?

seapep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lonlon said:
Hi,
Got my IPad 2 as a gift and I love it. I'm a speech therapist and I usenit everyday for work bit I can't get it to charge on the computer. I've tries my PC and two laptops and the not charging sign always comes up. Anybody having the same issue or have any ideas?

I believe that the issue is that the USB ports on the computer do not provide the necessary power to charge the iPad. That is what i have read anyway. Th experts on this forum can clarify or correct me if I am wrong

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will charge even though it says it isnt, but it is a very very slow charge, it will charge normal on a mac, also there is an app for use on pc's to allow it to push out enough power, but some people have issues with it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, my iPad won't charge on my 3 and a half year old Toshiba laptop either. In fact I get major battery drain when it's hooked up. I only plug it in to it for very brief periods when I need to sync something. Thank God for the wall charger!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The normal USB port on your computer is limited to 300 mA, whereas the iPad dedicated charger is a 10 W 2A charger - and provides about 7 times the current of a USB port.

Tim

OP
L

lonlon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I verified the info about the USB drive and tested it. I plugged my IPad into my computer and left it on overnight and it was fully charged the next morning. I don't recommend leaving the computer on all night but if your wall charger is not available it's an option.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I verified the info about the USB drive and tested it. I plugged my IPad into my computer and left it on overnight and it was fully charged the next morning. I don't recommend leaving the computer on all night but if your wall charger is not available it's an option.
There's probably no need to leave your computer "on" overnight, USB ports are still active on most computers in sleep mode.

Moving thread to the Help area for those that follow.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
Yep, my iPad won't charge on my 3 and a half year old Toshiba laptop either. In fact I get major battery drain when it's hooked up. I only plug it in to it for very brief periods when I need to sync something. Thank God for the wall charger!

You can turn off charging while connected in the iTunes settings on your computer.
We win! We win! Go Pack

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, thanks! I'll look around for that setting. Maybe it won't drain my battery as much when it has to be plugged into it then.
Tonight's game was a nail biter, but go Pack!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Youre ipad will not charge (or will charge verrrrry slowly) via PC/MAC. the only way to charge an ipad proper is to plug it into a 2 amp charger

Igoriok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a small problem with battery on my iPad 2 16Gb 3G. Looks like battery running out to quick! Anybody can tell me what can cause this??? Thanks..

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How quick is 'quick'? Do you have 3G switched on or the screen at full brightness?

How long is the battery lasting now?

Tim

Igoriok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3G switched off (but sim card is installed), brightness is on 50% + I've auto-brightness "On". What about how "quick", let say if I just watch a movie for 1h30min, battery power from 50% went down to 20% My opinion it should take twice less.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a small problem with battery on my iPad 2 16Gb 3G. Looks like battery running out to quick! Anybody can tell me what can cause this??? Thanks..
You'll need to be more specific..."running out quick" doesn't mean much. How long does it hold a full charge? When did you notice a change? Exactly how are you using it? What apps are you using and what else are you doing that might affect power usage? Where are you when you're using it, how often and for how long is it not being used, things like that. More details will let folks get a better picture of what the problem is (if there is one).

Last edited:

Igoriok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
You'll need to be more specific..."running out quick" doesn't mean much. How long does it hold a full charge? When did you notice a change? Exactly how are you using it? What apps are you using and what else are you doing that might affect power usage? Where are you when you're using it, how often and for how long is it not being used, things like that. More details will let folks get a better picture of what the problem is (if there is one).

Now is everything Ok! Battery "life" is back to normal.

Most reactions

Latest posts