What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant download OS5

Richbake99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Anyone had this problem? Have been trying to download OS5 for my iPad 2 via PC. I have been timed out after a few minutes and,anyway, the download time of around 20 hrs is a joke. Admittedly my broadband connexion here in rural France is not great but, surely, this is ridiculous? Any ideas? Do I just have to go somewhere with a better connexion and borrow someone's PC? Seems crazy to me....
Regards
Richbake

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iTunes isn't very supportive of slow / unreliable connections. The best course of action is to do as follows:

1) Download the correct firmware for your device onto your desktop from our links in this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html
2) Once the download is complete, open iTunes
3) Shift-Click (Windows) or Option-Click (OSX) the "Restore" button in iTunes (this means hold down the shift key on the keyboard whilst you click the button with your mouse).

This will pop up a file picker in iTunes and allow you to select the firmware file you downloaded to your desktop from step 1. iTunes will then install it on your device.

However, you are still going to have to download the 700MB file, so there is nothing we can do to make it any faster for you as you are limited to your connections. That said, this method is proven to be a lot more reliable than letting iTunes manage the process for you if you have a slow connection.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go over to the iOS section, you'll see Rich's great threads on iOS5 problems and how to solve them and some of the issues...

The download is large - about 800 MB - so you can work out yourself how long the download should take.

Tim

OP
R

Richbake99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replies. I will give them a try when I have a bit more time. Much obliged and will let you know how I get on.
Richbake

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps your could have a friend or co-worker with a faster internet connection download the file from the sites listed above, an put it on a memory stick or CD/DVD and give back to you to install as outlined above.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I'm NOT interested in upgrading to iOS5 (for certain imaginable reasons), I do have to say that for someone with a seriously restricted Internet Data Allowance, this is a huge problem. I don't even want to upgrade to the latest iTunes because of its size. (My only connection to the "outside world" is through my 3g connection.

The OS offering on a disk sure seems like an obvious answer to this, but one that evidently isn't available (or at least legally). There sure could be a market for it - if only.....

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
R

Richbake99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and the links you recommended have enabled me to get the firmware update on my desktop. Before I attempt to restore the iPad I am concerned that Kindle books I have on my iPad will be lost. It seems that they are not backed up to iTunes. Also is it a straightforward procedure to restore my backed up apps?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and the links you recommended have enabled me to get the firmware update on my desktop. Before I attempt to restore the iPad I am concerned that Kindle books I have on my iPad will be lost. It seems that they are not backed up to iTunes. Also is it a straightforward procedure to restore my backed up apps?

Your Kindle books should all be backed up via Whispersync with Amazon, no? If they are not Kindle store titles which you specifically added manually to the Kindle app through iTunes when you will need to put those back on from the original source material, which I expect is on your PC somewhere?

Rather than restoring IOS, as I suggested above, you can shift-click the "Update" button in iTunes instead in step 3. This will upgrade your IOS leaving all the existing content on your iPad intact, so no worries about losing anything...

OP
R

Richbake99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the help again...yes I should have realised that Kindle would be backed up to Amazon.
Oh dear!! I can only get as far as far the software being extracted and then error message 3002 appears. I looked it up and it refers to iPhone and iPod Touch. Anyway it merely tells me to use the standard update/restore buttons in iTunes. I have rebooted the pc and re-tried but to no avail. I don't think that it is the av or firewall stopping the process. Oh well....

miroma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem - I can't download OS5 or, rather, iTunes does download it in about 40 minutes and then, a few second after it starts processing the file, I get the message that I am timed out and am recommended to check my internet connection.

I have downloaded the firmware onto my desktop but when I shift-click the "Restore" button I get error 3194; I have tried shift-clicking the "Update" button but got error 3002. I think I have now tried virtually everything I have found on various forums but to no avail.

I have tried to use two different computers - my desktop and my laptop - and got exactly the same results.

I am using ADSL connection for my desktop - could the reason for my problem be that I am using 3G for my iPad rather than Wi-Fi?

If you can think of something else I could try to upgrade to OS5 please please let me know.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
miroma said:
Hi, I have the same problem - I can't download OS5 or, rather, iTunes does download it in about 40 minutes and then, a few second after it starts processing the file, I get the message that I am timed out and am recommended to check my internet connection.

I have downloaded the firmware onto my desktop but when I shift-click the "Restore" button I get error 3194; I have tried shift-clicking the "Update" button but got error 3002. I think I have now tried virtually everything I have found on various forums but to no avail.

I have tried to use two different computers - my desktop and my laptop - and got exactly the same results.

I am using ADSL connection for my desktop - could the reason for my problem be that I am using 3G for my iPad rather than Wi-Fi?

If you can think of something else I could try to upgrade to OS5 please please let me know.

First of all, you must be installing 5.0.1. You cannot install 5.0 any longer under any circumstances. That would be one reason you would get a 3194 error.

Try following our guide here, which should get 5.0.1 installed for you...

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

miroma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I have installed the latest version of iTunes, and am trying to install the latest version of OS.

Unfortunately, as I said, I have already tried everything your guide suggests - checked the hosts file (no mention of gs.apple.com there), put my iPad into DFU mode, and tried to shift-restore the firmware ipsw file. I tried doing all these things many times, and kept getting error 3194.

Incidentally, I had not done any jailbreaking at all - I only got my device recently, and this is really getting at me :(.

Is it OK that I'm using 3G on my device rather than Wi-Fi when I'm trying to upgrade?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
miroma said:
Thanks for your advice. I have installed the latest version of iTunes, and am trying to install the latest version of OS.

Unfortunately, as I said, I have already tried everything your guide suggests - checked the hosts file (no mention of gs.apple.com there), put my iPad into DFU mode, and tried to shift-restore the firmware ipsw file. I tried doing all these things many times, and kept getting error 3194.

Incidentally, I had not done any jailbreaking at all - I only got my device recently, and this is really getting at me :(.

Is it OK that I'm using 3G on my device rather than Wi-Fi when I'm trying to upgrade?

What is the name of the file you are using? And have you disabled ALL tools on your OS, such as anti-virus, firewall, etc. ?

miroma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have disabled the antivirus (Kaspersky Internet Security) and the firewall. Not being an expert, I don't know what else I can disable - but I will if you suggest something. Can't look up the exact name of the file now because neither my desktop nor my laptop that I tried using are traveling with me at the moment (in fact, I'm using my iPad to write this post) but I downloaded it from a direct link from one of the iPad forums, and it was meant for iPad2. I think I see what you mean - that I might have used the link for an outdated OS version (like 5.0 instead of 5.0.1) and that's where my problem comes from? I will look up the file name when I get back home (in about a week's time) and tell you then if you don't mind but what I still fail to understand is why the latest version of iTunes on my desktop, which uses a reasonably high-speed broadband Internet connection and spends a mere half hour to successfully download the latest version of OS, can not go on to simply update it on my device without making me spend loads of my time and my nerve trying to shift-restore it.

Last edited:

miroma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After all, it turned out that the reason for my problem was that I was using 3G rather than wi-fi on my device. As soon as I connected it to wi-fi (I had to borrow a router to get wireless Internet access at home), everything worked like a marvel - I did not even have to shift-restore it, just pressed the "update" button and that did the job. Now I can download Pages and Keynote :) Thanks everyone.

Most reactions

Latest posts