What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Buy from Apps Store: Apple ID and Security Questions

Ed Dayrit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to Apple and I have a problem buying apps in the app store because it says it's my first time to purchase and asks me to answer security questions I don't remember ever setting up. Perhaps many years ago when I created an apple ID, for some reason I don't remember either, I did so but I can't remember the answers to my favorite teacher or where I was in January 2000. Please help me how I can contact Apple or reset the security questions. My apple ID is active and I remember the password; I'm also able to log in but simply cannot buy from the store because of the security questions. Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to Apple and I have a problem buying apps in the app store because it says it's my first time to purchase and asks me to answer security questions I don't remember ever setting up. Perhaps many years ago when I created an apple ID, for some reason I don't remember either, I did so but I can't remember the answers to my favorite teacher or where I was in January 2000. Please help me how I can contact Apple or reset the security questions. My apple ID is active and I remember the password; I'm also able to log in but simply cannot buy from the store because of the security questions. Thank you.
Check out this thread, it will tell you how to reset your Apple security questions. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5243784
Let us know if it works.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be good to know if that works, I had that same problem a while back, I just couldn't remember setting up these questions, After a bit of ferreting around I found I had written them down in a little book I keep, So the moral of this is make a note of them somewhere.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Ivy it works fine Apple has a new security system that will ask passwords and the questions at random. Usually this happens after an upgrade. If the user is unable to remember the answers then he/she will have to phone iTunes support. Once they verify the user a text message will be sent to their mobile from iTunes support. The code on the text message is entered into iTunes support area and then the questions are reset. I suggest the user writes down the questions and answers so they do not forget.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use a password app like 1Password (or one of the many other good ones) you can record your questions and answers in the notes section for your accounts. Doing this also means you can use made up answers, which are much harder for a hacker to guess when attempting to steal your account.

After all, it's not that hard to track down who your teachers were, or the maiden name of your mother.

OP
E

Ed Dayrit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I did was just to ask my wife to buy the app for me from her own iPad and send it to me as a gift; there's this option when buying from Apple. Apple doesn't ask any security questions when she buys it for me (although I'd still need to pay for it :) so that's what I did. I know we have to keep track of passwords, but security questions like what Apple asks is, I don't know. Anyway, I didn't try to use the iForgot option as I know what my password is and I'm afraid that when I use it, Apple might just send me an email asking for security questions to confirm my identity and then I might run into problems with my password. It's difficult for me, as many other clients too, as I'm from the Philippines, and can't just call Apple support anytime. Thanks for the comments.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ended up having to call apple to reset my daughters security questions. Their online system just didn't work for me. The good news is that the phone call didn't take long and I didn't wait on hold either. This time I wrote them down in a few safe places so I never have to mess with this again! I appreciate apple keeping things safe but it IS a pain to deal with this stuff!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still write down my passwords ect in a little book, I am going to keep doing that but i may set up a password app too as has been mentioned in this thread.

Most reactions