What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't activate 3/4G on iPad bought in US for use in UK

Millhouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

Trawling the net, I have seen the question asked but not really answered convincingly.

I bought an iPad 3 32gb 4G (AT&T) in the USA recently. They fired it up in the Apple store and said everything would be fine using it back in the UK. I received a GiffGaff microsim, activated it, and the title bar of my iPad says 3G with good signal strength and the O2 logo next to it.

However, it doesn't work at all. I get messages saying that I have not subscribed to a data network and when exploring the settings menus, the iPad times out and says try later.

Some forums say that you must activate the AT&T sim in the US before bringing it to the UK but just as many people say this is not necessary.

Does anyone have experience of this? Have left help desk requests with GiffGaff but no answer, could take it into an Apple store if it is a hardware issue...

Thanks in advance of any assistance.

Greg

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Have you got the correct plan from giffgaff? I don't think the iphone goodybag ones work with the ipad. You need a gigabag one.

OP
M

Millhouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, my GiffGaff account refers to goodybag in some places, but in others gigs bag so not sure....will ask them and confirm here for future reference. Cheers.

rach2k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious, did you resolve this? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Most reactions

Latest posts