What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot upgrade?!

code101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad running 4.2.1 and it's been jailbroken. I've been trying for a couple of days to upgrade to either 4.3 or 4.3.3 but no matter what I do it refuses to upgrade!? I've tried changing/editing/deleting lines from the host file and even tried on two different PC's but still I get the same 3194 unknown error message. Has anyone any suggestions? It's a frustrating error as everything I've read points to this being the lines in the host file (which is now free of the offending lines).

OP
C

code101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried using the guide but the same problem persists. Do I have to be running TinyUmbrella with the "Start TSS Server" option running? My SHSH blobs are saved thankfully. Or would a restore then an upgrade be an option? Again, thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I've never had this problem upgrading before.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
code101 said:
Thanks for the reply. I tried using the guide but the same problem persists. Do I have to be running TinyUmbrella with the "Start TSS Server" option running? My SHSH blobs are saved thankfully. Or would a restore then an upgrade be an option? Again, thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I've never had this problem upgrading before.

Yes, the TSS Server must be running, otherwise TU is not doing anything...

OP
C

code101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I got past that error and now seemed to hit a 1064 error when "preparing the ipad". I've tried changing cords and pc's and get the same error everytime. Would my virus scanner or firewall be causing this?

misey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
code101 said:
Thanks for the help. I got past that error and now seemed to hit a 1064 error when "preparing the ipad". I've tried changing cords and pc's and get the same error everytime. Would my virus scanner or firewall be causing this?

I have the same problem

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
code101 said:

Many Windows users have reported in the past that temporarily disabling firewalls, anti-virus, and anti-malware products does sometimes fix unexpected iTunes errors like this. There is no harm in giving it a go...

Charlamayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
misey said:
I have the same problem

At this point since the release of iOS 5 apple has restricted the upgrades. This means at lease if you are trying to go BACK to an earlier iOS, you are out of luck. I found out after doing some research about this because me and my bf were trying to see if we could JB his 4th gen iPod touch, and we had to go back to an earlier version to even make it possible and we had the same issues as mentioned in this thread. We had to reload iTunes on the computer and upgrade forward to make the error code go away and to bring the touch out of recovery mode. Unfortunately this upgraded the touch to iOS 5 and so the only option was a semi tether. Once you upgrade apple has locked downgrades out. Hope this helps at all.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Charlamayne said:
Once you upgrade apple has locked downgrades out. Hope this helps at all.

Careful. That's only true for the iPad2 3G model and iPhone4S as things stand today.

Other devices can be downgraded PROVIDED you have saved SHSH Blobs for that device. This is nothing new. It was implemented by Apple over 2 years ago on the iPhone3GS.

You can easily downgrade any iPad1 or iPad2 Wifi model IF you have your saved blobs. We have lots of stickes and tutorials on the subject which you should read so that you are fully informed about the facts.

Charlamayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Careful. That's only true for the iPad2 3G model and iPhone4S as things stand today.

Other devices can be downgraded PROVIDED you have saved SHSH Blobs for that device. This is nothing new. It was implemented by Apple over 2 years ago on the iPhone3GS.

You can easily downgrade any iPad1 or iPad2 Wifi model IF you have your saved blobs. We have lots of stickes and tutorials on the subject which you should read so that you are fully informed about the facts.

Actually, they've blocked for the touch now too. If you had read my entire post, I was referring to the touch that my bf owns.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Charlamayne said:
Actually, they've blocked for the touch now too. If you had read my entire post, I was referring to the touch that my bf owns.

Sorry, no they haven't. The touch 4G is an A4 based device, the same as iPhone4. If you have shsh blobs it can be downgraded. As I said, we have lots of stickes that explain the how and why. Whilst it sucks your boyfriend could not downgrade his because he did not save blobs when they were available, it does not make it true for all iPod Touch devices.

The facts are that only the iPad2 3G model and iPhone4S are impossible to downgrade as things stand today. All other devices from the iPhone 3GS to iPad2 Wifi can be downgraded IF the owner saved blobs for the firmware version they want to be able to restore to. Unfortunately you cant do that retrospectively once you've moved to 5.0.

Last edited:

Charlamayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Sorry, no they haven't. The touch 4G is an A4 based device, the same as iPhone4. If you have shsh blobs it can be downgraded. As I said, we have lots of stickes that explain the how and why. Whilst it sucks your brother could not downgrade his because he did not save blobs when they were available, it does not make it true for all iPod Touch devices.

The facts are that only the iPad2 3G model and iPhone4S are impossible to downgrade as things stand today. All other devices from the iPhone 3GS to iPad2 Wifi can be downgraded IF the owner saved blobs for the firmware version they want to be able to restore to. Unfortunately you cant do that retrospectively.

Then maybe you can explain why my bf (that means boyfriend) couldn't downgrade even though he did have the blobs saved?

Most reactions

Latest posts