What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot upgrade iPad 2 to iOS 4.3.3 and I tried!!? Seriously!

Crunch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 2010 iMac and all the latest versions of iTunes (10.2.2), OS X (10.6.7) and I'm trying to pull something off that I shouldn't get this much push-back for: I'm trying to update iOS 4.3.2 to 4.3.3. There is no jailbreak involved (I wish there were :eek:), I haven't just installed 50 new apps, run out of memory or anything else crazy. I just got this thing a few days ago. It was an exchange for another one that had the screen tinting issue.

The error message that iTunes reported was something to the effect of "This iPad is not eligible for the version of iOS that I am trying to get on it." Really? Apple's getting stricter and stricter with its iOS stuff, huh?

Here's a list of things I've done so far and more info that may be interesting or necessary to know:

I restarted my iMac (per iTunes Support site) I had NOTHING running, except for iTunes and the processes and start-up items that always do.

I obliterated it, i.e. in Settings, I clicked "Erase all items and settings", which wiped it clean and successfully returned it back to factory conditions. No dice.

I tried using the restore button (instead of Update) in iTunes. Nothing.
I tried holding down the Option key and manually selected the 4.3.3 IPWS. Same difference.

I went so far as trying to unplug my 30-pin connector cable from my dock (the iPad 2-specific one) and manually inserted it into the iPad 2. Yep, another FAIL. Talk about desperate, huh?

That's all I can think of right now. I actually have a hunch as to what may be the cause, but it should still work either way: My iPad 2 came loaded with iOS 4.3.1, as opposed to 4.3.2. iOS 4.3.3 had just come out the day after I got it, but Apple was still signing 4.3.2 IPSW's, so I decided to opt for an update to 4.3.2 and everything worked JUST FINE! I know, I know, but please don't ask me why I didn't just upgrade to 4.3.3. It won't help and it is what it is now. lol

The iPad 2 works just fine but I'm not going to use it like I want to, as I'd like to get the iOS update out of the way first.

One last disclosure: I had an iPad 1, I have an iPhone 4 (and had a 3GS) and I am intimately familiar with jailbreaking on both OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and I'd like to consider myself pretty computer literate. Just FYI.

I can't wait to see what you all think of this. Thanks very much in advance! :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, becasue of the last bit you wrote, it leads me to think that your hosts file is NOT pointing to Apple, but to Cydia. Have you jailbroken or used TinyUmbrella before?

I suspect you are getting a not eligible message because iTunes is not asking Apple directly, the request is being sent to Cydia.

Does any of this fit?

zonatigre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my iPad 2 Wifi. I was able to succesfully run the 4.3.3 update by "unchecking" the "Set hosts to Cydia on Exit" under the "advanced" tab on Tiny Umbrella.

michaelkjchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have similar problem to upgrade my ipad 2 from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3. I got error message "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad. The network connection timed out." My network works fine, any idea?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
michaelkjchang said:
I have similar problem to upgrade my ipad 2 from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3. I got error message "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad. The network connection timed out." My network works fine, any idea?

Try disabling antivirus temporarily until the download is complete.

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iTunes asks me to upgrade but I don't do it, waiting for the jailbreak. That is a weird error though.

ccooluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't do it! I heard it brings wifi issues! Google that ish...

Sent from my G2 via tapatalk

michaelkjchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
michaelkjchang said:

Try disabling antivirus temporarily until the download is complete.

It did lose wireless connection when I disabled the antivirus, I connected it with Ethernet cable and successfully download and update it to 4.3.3. Thanks a lot.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally did the update and all went well. Wifi is still strong and solid.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
I finally did the update and all went well. Wifi is still strong and solid.

Good. I hear that there have been lots of problems with this update and have decided to put it off for a little while longer.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
info said:
Good. I hear that there have been lots of problems with this update and have decided to put it off for a little while longer.

Me too!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Most reactions

Latest posts