What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Turn Passcode Lock Off!!?!?

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently synced my iPad to my office Microsoft Exchange account from work. However, now when I turn on my iPad it is asking me for a Passcode. Not a big deal, but also not needed. So I go to the General tab in settings to turn this feature off, but unfortunately, the "Turn Passcode Off" feature at the top is simply greyed out and I cannot turn off.

The "Simple Passcode" feature is also greyed out and currently indicating "off".

Again, this issue seemed to have occurred with the Microsoft Exchange sync. Anyone else seen this and is there a way to turn the passcode feature off?

Thanks,
MSax

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
It isnt an "issue" but part of the required security for connecting to an Exchange server.

With Exchange account on the iPad, you will always have a Passcode. You can set the timeout to up to 1 hour by going to Settins -> General -> Passcode Lock -> Require Passcode (select the timeout you wish)

Last edited:

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I use gmail with Exchange server for push notifications and I can turn Passcode off. Is this only true with certain Exchange servers. I know gmail uses an emulator for IMAP services, but to the iPad it should appear as an Exchange server.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is something that irritates me. I want to be able to turn it off.

Bmr23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same for lockednfound?

I purchased my iPad3 at Best Buy and along with the warranty came their "LockednFound" protection which I activated and I am now having the same issue with the "turn passcode off" button being grayed out. Is this for the same reason already mentioned and od I therefore have to choose between using this service and having a passcode?

moplus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The forum members say to go to Exchange Server in the IPAD and turn off the disable but I can not get into the IPAD because I'm locked out and need a Passcode to open. What do I do?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your Exchange server is configured in such a way that it requires your iPad to have a passcode. You cannot disable this on your iPad. Your Exchange administrator would have to disable this policy at the server.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The other alternative is to remove the Exchange Server email completely from your iPad, thus allowing you to remove the Passcode.

That being said, I believe that it is a great feature to enforce a Passcode, otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry can pick-up your iPad and read your company's private emails. This feature is amust when companies allow you to BYO device.

Most reactions

Latest posts