cannot send emails

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by longshanks, Feb 11, 2019.

1. longshanks

longshanks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi giradman,
    As stated I use Plusnet a uk based IPS, I sign in with user name and PW. I use this through the native IOS mail app, both plusnet servers are configured correctly, I use POP incoming. My settings are as you have displayed above.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, did you 'power recycle' your modem/router? Is the iPad now on the latest iOS (i.e. 12.1.4)? And, have you tried to use IMAP? Not sure any of this will help but will do no harm - hopefully other members in the UK using the same ISP will 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Dave :)

3. longshanks

longshanks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi again,
    Yes I’ve done all that, tried imap.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm running out of ideas - but just curious if you've tried your ISP's web-based login service, shown below (at the URL on the top), i.e. can you enter and send emails from there? This happens to me occasionally when the Yahoo servers for my iPad 'go down', I can still review and send email by logging into 'mail.yahoo.com' - may not help, but there might be settings there that impact your iPad?

My only other suggestions at the moment would be to contact your ISP, if not already done, and if of no help, try to visit an Apple store if one is nearby? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 12.27.17 PM.png

5. longshanks

longshanks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I can send and view emails via my ISP’s webmail service and I used to able to on my iPad then this problem started and it seems to have happnd since I updated from ISO 11 to 12, all my ISP offer is a tutorial how to set up email, I don’t need that. My local apple store is appox 35 miles away so not that close.
    I am a seasoned computer user but this simple problem has got me baffled. Many thanks for you advice.
    Regards
    Brian

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Normaly when there are problems with outgoing email it’s either because the mail server is down, or the smtp server settings in Mail are wrong (or corrupted). This can be a wrong server, wrong ports, or possibly a bad password (though the last usually prompts for a correct password).

The easiest way to fix this is to delete and re-add the email account. As long as the email account is either IMAP or Exchlange, nothing will be lost. Well, the pending outgoing emails might be lost. Best to save them before hand. The body if nothing else.

Apple has a suport site that will give you the correct settings for most providers.

Mail Settings Lookup

I’ve probably covered things you’ve already tried, or even mentioned here; but that’s all I’ve got to offer.