What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot open IPAD

joan237

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I joined this forum about 10 days ago saying I was looking into buying an IPAD. Well, I bought one last Thursday and so far have been enjoying it.

Now today after not using it for about 1 hour when I tried to turn it on , nothing, black screen.
I searched on here and tried the method of holding the power button and the home button together and waiting till the apple icon came on and then keep holding the buttons down and give it about 10-15 seconds to reboot. I did all this and I get the apple icon but nothing after that.

Any ideas.

Joan

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take it to an Apple store pronto or call their customer service....

OP
J

joan237

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I charged it every night. Today I only used about 20% out of 100% of the charge.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After the Apple logo appears, let go of the buttons. There is no point in holding them once it starts the reboot. Not that this will probably help, but who knows.

OP
J

joan237

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I solved my problem. Even though I had 79% of battery left. I tried putting it on the charge for about an hour. After that it went on . No problems in the last few hours but I am still concerned because this IPAD is only 3 days old.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joan237 said:
I solved my problem. Even though I had 79% of battery left. I tried putting it on the charge for about an hour. After that it went on . No problems in the last few hours but I am still concerned because this IPAD is only 3 days old.

Do you have an apple store near by?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought, if it does it again.

I have always heard that you need to let the iPad discharge until it shuts off, and then recharge, to calibrate the power gauge occasionally. Maybe your gauge needs calibrating. To help it discharge, go into "Setting > General > Auto-Lock and set it to Never", this should keep it awake and help discharge it. Don't forget to set it back to however many minutes you want it to stay awake for, so it will go to sleep, after re-charging it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just a thought...do you 'Autolock' set? ('Settings', 'General', 'Autolock'). Otherwise you might have accidentally left your iPad switched on and, if Autolock is set to 'Never', that could run down your battery.

By the way, does anyone know how the iPad reacts when it's left switched on, with Autolock set to Never? Does it power down gracefully as the battery gets close to empty? I guess it's something none of us want to try.....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I run my iPad down I usualy just leave it playing a slidshow. This defeats the autolock. It usualy gives a couple of warnings, and then powers itself down, yes, gracefully. ;)

OP
J

joan237

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spink10:yes I do have an apple store nearby.

Pocobear: I checked my settings and it is set at 2 min.

Tim: I am at 2 min. but cannot understand if I should change this or leave it. As you can all see I am new to this stuff.

Twerppoet: Yesterday when I recharged and it blinks on I saw that I had 79% of battery left so I do not think that was the problem even though after bringing ot back up to 100% my IPAD opened.

No problems since then but if this happens again, I will go back to the store with it and see what they say.

Joan

Most reactions

Latest posts