What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot open books in ibooks

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
more info needed.... have you added them to your ipad via itunes... can you see the books in the ibooks shelf and they just will not open.... be as specific as you can as how you got the books and what format they are and anything else

OP
C

caribeguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded the books and I can see them in my bookshelf but cannot open them. I go to the store and download again and it shows them downloading, just cannot open them.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
were they downloaded form the itunes store? directly form your ipad or from itunes...do you have the stting in ibooks set yo books or to books and pdf...what format are the books downloaded in

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have you updated to the newest software for itunes and also you ipad if not do so... if so delete ibooks and reinstall ibooks

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
caribeguy said:
I have downloaded the books and I can see them in my bookshelf but cannot open them. I go to the store and download again and it shows them downloading, just cannot open them.

It sounds like a memory problem. Close all running apps by double tapping the button at the base of the machine. You will see all running app icons. Press and hold one of them until a red minus sign appears on them all. Click each minus sign to close them. Then try running iBooks again.

I have literally 150 books on mine and can read them OK.

Hope this helps.

OP
C

caribeguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried all the suggestions so far and it still is not working. The strange thing, I can open all of these books on the 4 iPods in my house, just not on my iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried all the suggestions so far and it still is not working. The strange thing, I can open all of these books on the 4 iPods in my house, just not on my iPad.

Maybe you've used up the licenses on your books? Publishers usually limit how many devices you can have the same book on.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Maybe you've used up the licenses on your books? Publishers usually limit how many devices you can have the same book on.

Er, yes, that could be a point I hadn't thought of. Has the thread originator tried to download any free books (there are lots of them) ?

OP
C

caribeguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have tried a number of free books and it does the same thing. I' m really at a loss, this is the only problem I have with my iPad, but it is a big problem. One of reason I bought it is for reading books.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is your iPad jail broken?

Try deleting iBooks and downloading it again..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd suggest switching to Kindle books. Not only is the app more reliable, returns are easy, and you can read the books on multiple platforms. Should you switch devices years later, you'd still be able to access your books on another OS. With iBooks, you'll have to keep buying Apple unless you're OK with abandoning your books.

I've used Kindle books for about four years, with no probs that I can recall.

Most reactions

Latest posts