What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot inatall or run itunes

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried downloading the update to itunes this morning. It failed to download completely so, as it suggested, I downloaded a complete download.

When I did that, I get a message

Service 'Apple mobile device'(Apple mobile device ) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services

Abort. B. bretry. Ignore

What do I do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be a problem with the latest version for Windows.

Remove all of these items in the following order:

iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

Restart your computer, and install iTunes.

OP
Tom March

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seems to be a problem with the latest version for Windows. Remove all of these items in the following order: iTunes Apple Software Update Apple Mobile Device Support Bonjour Apple Application Support Restart your computer, and install iTunes.

Thanks.

Doing that now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've encountered this same problem. I assume if you remove all of that all of your iTunes data will be preserved, correct?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've encountered this same problem. I assume if you remove all of that all of your iTunes data will be preserved, correct?

It's best to manually backup your backup into a different directory. The directory will more than likely not be touched, but it's just as a safety measure.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's best to manually backup your backup into a different directory. The directory will more than likely not be touched, but it's just as a safety measure.

Yeah, I was going to do that anyway but I'd rather know what it is supposed to do.

OP
Tom March

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O k.

I deleted all those programs and re-installed them one by one (except Bonjour, which I still have to do)

iTunes works fine now (well, as good as it ever did. It"s not a very stable program)

Plus, having renamed me Windows Contacts folder to 'xxcontacts', my contacts sync is now correctly using the Windows Live Mail contacts folder.

(I tried renaming the Contacts folder on my wife's machine but even though I renamed her Contacts folder, itunes is still attached to the old Windows Mail folder. Next step is to delete her Apple programs and re-install the Apple programs and see if it finds the Windows Live Mail contacts,

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had some issues...one of the programs on the list didn't report itself as being uninstalled (after several tries). Then, I used the version of iTunes that I got with the automatic download, it left out Bonjour upon reinstalling. And it complained about that stating that sharing could not be done. So I uninstalled all of it again, went and got the download of iTunes (the install you get from itunes.com) and installed that. Then I had to turn Home Sharing back on before Bonjour would show up.

OP
Tom March

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spoke too soon.

I still am not synced between Ipad/iPhone and Windows Live Mail Contact folder

Most reactions

Latest posts