What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot get mail

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting this when accessing my email:

Cannot get mail. The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.

Thing is, I DO have the proper info in account settings. Can anyone help me out here? I have looked online for fixes and none of them work. Changing imap.gmail.com to imap.googlemail.com does nothing because I have no idea where to go to do this and there is nothing in the iPad Mail settings where I can change this. There is only outgoing, but not incoming. I am really missing my Droid as I never had trouble with Gmail on there. Just punch in your password and domain name and voila, email, calendars, and notes all my Droid phone. With Apple, you have to jump through all these unnecessary hoops just to TRY to get this to work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm guessing you are using he standard GMail account setup from the iPad. Try deleting the account and adding it again. This is easier than trying to figure out what specific setting isn't quite right.

But before you do that go your Mail Settings on from Google's web mail client and make sure IMAP is enabled. It's under the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. I believe this is on by default, and if you were using it with your Droid it is probably on, but it won't hurt to check first just in case.

OP
dyrelogan

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is enabled. I have one gmail account but set up two different ways because if I choose just plain gmail then I don't get my calendars. So someone told me to go through Exchange to set it up and that's how I get my calendars. If I delete one then I won't get my email or my calendars and contacts. It's weird, but that seemed to work.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The google account does provide mail, calendar and notes. Strangely it is missing contacts (Available on the iPhone)...

So to be able to access my contacts, I created an exchange account with the server m.google.com. Then I just enable the contacts in that accounts. In the end I get mail, contacts, calendar and notes.

Also, make sure that your defaults are set to google/exchange so any modification is sent to google and not kept on your iPad only.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes it is enabled. I have one gmail account but set up two different ways because if I choose just plain gmail then I don't get my calendars. So someone told me to go through Exchange to set it up and that's how I get my calendars. If I delete one then I won't get my email or my calendars and contacts. It's weird, but that seemed to work.

It is possible that the IMAP server is not working because it is not conflict with the Exchange sever. That might be why you are getting the error messages. You don't really need the GMail account if you are using the Exchange account.

If you are uncomfortable with actually deleting the GMail account, just open it and turn off all the options. Now go back into the Exchange account and turn them all on. This is how I currently have it set up. Not to make it work, but to make trouble shooting between the two account types easier. I got tired of deleting and adding the accounts every time I needed to test them.

The main thing is to never have the the same service turned on in both accounts. If you have Mail turned on in the GMail account, the Mail in the Exchange account should be off, or vice-versa. Same for Calendars. Contacts, of course, are only available in the Exchange account.

OP
dyrelogan

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I will do that for contacts. That is how I had it set up before. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts