What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot get MAIL..HELP

maemer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad2 and my iPhone5, whenever I open Safari, it says, "Cannot get mail. Connection to the Server failed." What do I need to do?
Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, try the usual fixes: restarting,resetting (press and hold Home & Power button until the Apple logo appears), force closing apps.

If it doesn't help, turn off Wi-Fi, wait for a few minutes and turn it on again. Also turn on Airplane Mode and off again after a while.

You could try to reset your network settings in Settings - General - Reset, and set them up again afterwards.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Safari?

If you're connecting to a webmail site then the message probably has nothing to do with the iPad. You'll want to check and see if your email provider isn't' having problems. Or it might be a network issue, but Johanna has already covered that.

If not, then chances are it's Mail trying to update in the background, and you just happen to have Safari open. Or maybe updating Mail when it detects an active internet connection is part of the new background update feature.

Try opening Mail, forcing an update by pulling down on the mail list, and see if you get the same error. While there are any number of things you can do in your account settings to fix, it's usually easier to just delete and re-add the account. If the account is a POP account, make sure you don't' have any important emails stored only on the iPad, otherwise everything is on the server and should not be a problem.

If you don't know what type of account you have and can't find out from your provider, let us know who your provider is and maybe we can figure it out.

OP
M

maemer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CANNOT GET MAIL The connection to the server failed.

I have tried every suggestion: for my iPhone5 and iPad2. Haven't gotten any since yesterday morning...
1. Hard reboot 4 times today
2. Turn airplane on...off, etc
3. Turn WiFi off for a few hours....
4. Set up a folder called Temp and dump ALL my emails there and reboot....
5. Goto Settings>Mail> I deleted my account and added it back....now! it still doesn't work....AND I HAVE LOST ALL MY EMAILS!!!! Some very important
I am furious .....have followed people suggestions and royally screwed up
Now, does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have tried every suggestion: for my iPhone5 and iPad2. Haven't gotten any since yesterday morning...
1. Hard reboot 4 times today
2. Turn airplane on...off, etc
3. Turn WiFi off for a few hours....
4. Set up a folder called Temp and dump ALL my emails there and reboot....
5. Goto Settings>Mail> I deleted my account and added it back....now! it still doesn't work....AND I HAVE LOST ALL MY EMAILS!!!! Some very important
I am furious .....have followed people suggestions and royally screwed up
Now, does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks

OK - let's just start w/ your iPad 2 (which I own) - first, had you been receiving emails in the past? If so, what has changed recently, e.g. did you upgrade to iOS 7.0.2, did you change your email client, did you change your ISP, etc.? - and other possible changes when this problem occurred?

As already asked, what is your email client(s), e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, or other(s)? Are you syncing to the Cloud in any manner? If so, what cloud services are you using? Not sure what is the issue but an answer to the questions posed may help others provide more useful information - Dave :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those that may be confused, I merged two identical threads together.

So, to maemer: Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

caledonia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We seem to have at least 3 threads on the same message and many people are having the problem. Mine is just the last week or so. I have four email accounts. I have deleted all accounts and checked the Mail app each time after creating a new email account and still get message. I guess Apple to blame

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We seem to have at least 3 threads on the same message and many people are having the problem. Mine is just the last week or so. I have four email accounts. I have deleted all accounts and checked the Mail app each time after creating a new email account and still get message. I guess Apple to blame
The past month or so, I to have received this error notice. However, I do get my mail. Nothing has changed: ISP, email accounts. Passwords, SSID, etc. I just ignore the notice as it does not prevent me from receiving mail. The only problem is printing from an app. Same printer, same network, etc. I receive an error notice that no printer can be found. I go to Desk Top computer, validate default network computer, etc. check preferences, everything checks out. One hour later, prints ok from same app. I am getting too old to allow this to upset me. I just wait, do nothing, and the problem solves itself. Yes I have tried all the hard resets. Called my ISP to validate settings in the past. Always same answer, Apple Problem, setup configuration ok. Either my last upgrade did not correctly download all the info needed or IOS has a error in the last upgrade is my humble, limited knowledge and suggestion. May the next upgrade fix the problem or I will allow the old dog to die.

Last edited:

Most reactions