What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot edit the titles of ibooks

kiran07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i edit a book name in itunes, it is not reflecting in the ipad. It is letting me delete the books from itunes though. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try backing up the book deleting it from iTunes, rename it and then putting it back.

OP
K

kiran07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^Right now i'm doing it that way only. Editing it in the library & transferring it to iPad & then deleting the old one from iPad. It is a bit tedious to rearrange the books in the bookshelf again though. I was hoping there would be some easier way to go about it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go into iTunes on the computer. Find your book, right click on it, and choose Get Info to get the files properties. Go to the Info tab and change the name. Sync, and the new name should be set in iBooks.

Note, this won't change the cover, unless it is one of those default covers that are blank with a name on them. You only see the book's name in list view, not bookshelf view.

OP
K

kiran07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding biobunny:)

twerppoet, i tried it your way. Edited it in itunes & then synced it but it didn't work :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tested it on a PDF, but not on an actual ebook store. Maybe that is the difference. Let me check again ( though not with a book I care about ).

(imagine Jeopardy thinking music)

Tried it on both a protected and an unprotected eBook from the iBooks store. Both times the title changed. As I noted before, this change is only visible when you are viewing the list view.

I'm going to do some experiments with the artwork, and see if I can replace book covers too. But later. Got to go right now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, it is also possible to change the book cover. Just drop the picture file (I only tried .jpg files) into the Artwork tab. Works like a charm.

Most books already have a cover in this tab. Before you can change it you'll have to delete the first one. If you don't it will tell you that this type of track can only hold one.

Books that have no cover work fine, first try. These show up in iBooks as generic brown books with the title printed in a white box. iTunes shows them with no cover.

A few books display a cover in iBooks, but have nothing in the artwork tab in iTunes. Placing art in that tab overrides the current cover.

OP
K

kiran07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^ Yeah i'm able to change the artwork, but only in the library. I downloaded "Emma" from iBooks store & tried to edit the artwork and title, it still doesn't work (i'm checking them in list view mode only). Maybe I need to reinstall iBooks :(
Thanks for all your help twerppoet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, before you go too far, try a power restart, and or a soft reset. Sometimes apps get stuck and need a swift boot in their code.

When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears, about 10 to 15 seconds. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to change to title, but want to change the icon. I loaded a book and after the first reading when it went back on the shelf the cover looks like a translucent blue blackberry. I cannot read the title of the book.

JulieCaws

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Firstly, apologies if im on the wrong thread - im totally new to forums and this nis my first time on the ipad forum.

I have the same problem - I can change a book title in my itunes but when I sync to my ipad it still shows the original titles. Please...... what am I doing wrong (it used to work but I cant seem to do it now)

Thanks

shoshyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes first delete all and then put them again it will may fix the problem. maybe there is any mistake in the setting that's why your getting this type of errors. so i will watch up for any setting about this.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts