What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot download apps to my ipad2

ARR1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly, my apologies. This is my first post, and I'm ne to the whole apple thing. I bought my ipad2 5 days ago and all was working great. Downloaded apps from app store without any problems. Then today I came to download a couple of new ones, but they don't work. From the app, I click the download and the iPad moves to the 'desktop'. The icon reads, Waiting, then Downloading but never does anything else. The progress bar doesn't move and after some minutes I hold down the faded out icon and close it with the 'x'. I've tried several different apps just to be sure and every time I get the same. I can surf web no problem. Please help someone!!!!!!!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! App installation or update hangs happen now and then. Usually they can be resolved by rebooting the iPad. Hold down the power button (located on the outside edge of the iPad) until the "Slide to power off" slider appears. Let the iPad power down, wait a moment and they hold the button down until the Apple logo reappears. Once it's booted up, reconnect to the App Store and see if the apps don't download properly this time. If not, post back...there are some other things you can try.

The good news is that it's a fairly rare occurrence and ultimately it can always be resolved.

OP
A

ARR1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome.
Ok, so I tried the reboot and to download the app once more. However, sadly same as before. The icon just reads 'loading' and nothing else happens. Oddly I've noticed my wifi connection speed today is very much slower than it has been. Don't know if this could be related??????
Another comment from me.....is there anyway my pro em could be related to the amount of download usage i'm allowed by my service provider? Guess though if that was the case that I wouldn't be able to surf at all?
Thanks for you support!
Andrew

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It certainly could be a network issue...or a rogue app. Hard to say. I'd get the network up to speed first.

Sometimes just rebooting everything on your network (modem/router/iPad) can resolve a network issue. Other times a modem firmware update is all that's needed.

You can check your iPad's network speed by downloading the free iPhone/iPad app from SpeedTest.net:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8

Generally for a number of reasons an iPad won't deliver the same results as a regular computer, but it shouldn't be that far off (and of course it can depend on where in the house you're using your iPad with respect to the WiFi source).

If that doesn't do it, try giving some of these recommendations a try:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
A

ARR1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, good news....! Rebooted the router and now all sorted. Many thanks for advise, much appreciated.
Andrew

davidrussell11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This information is really useful for those who are facing this problem with their iPad applications.I will also try this one if i would face any problem with my iPad.

Luigi1492

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on a refurbished iPad2 and in addition it would not synh wirelessly. I tried all the usual procedures including
rebooting the iPad and the network and none of it worked. What did work was resetting the iPad to its original factory settings (after I performed a backup). All my problems went away after the reset.

Most reactions

Latest posts