What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot connect to YouTube

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It must be really frustrating for you to have this app and for it not to work, but I'd like you to follow these steps and give it a try-

Do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now. if not a restart is in order.

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will start again. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running smoothly. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

When your iPad begins to behave strangely these are the first steps you should do to rectify it. Let us know how you go, good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

glabarone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leelai - thanks for your note. I have indeed tried all your suggestions (in the order you state). Still no joy I still get the message.
Is it possible my router is blocking? Or maybe the ISP? This would be strange as it worked the first day or so then stopped with the error message quoted. How can I check this - I'm with BT, which must be pretty common here in uk. Is it possible that no-one has YouTube app working? Anyhow further next step suggestions appreciated.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
glabarone said:
Leelai - thanks for your note. I have indeed tried all your suggestions (in the order you state). Still no joy I still get the message.
Is it possible my router is blocking? Or maybe the ISP? This would be strange as it worked the first day or so then stopped with the error message quoted. How can I check this - I'm with BT, which must be pretty common here in uk. Is it possible that no-one has YouTube app working? Anyhow further next step suggestions appreciated.

I'm in Australia and my YouTube works fine. From what I've been reading I think it may point to your router.
Try powering down your iPad, then switch your router off for say 20 seconds then power back up your ipad and see if they can reconnect. May be an idea to clear your settings and reinput them too. Others have had problems too from what I've seen. Give it a try and hopefully this will be it. Let us know.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

hitokimibatosai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try this as it has worked for me, go to:

setting > general then hit reset then reset network settings

it worked for me this is what i got from apple support and its worth a try

Tim0gle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still unable to connect to YouTube, this is frustrating. I've done the following:
Shut down all aps running in background
Turned off iPad
Reset iPad
Reset network connections
Connected to iTunes store & sync'd
Changed time to wrong time, then back, turned auto time on and off
Used different networks (also verified others using similiar iPads on the same network could connect to you tube)

Any other ideas, it won't let me delete and reinstall the app either.

glabarone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible that this issue is not fixable? I have tried all suggestions on the forum and still no joy? I read somewhere else that the reason is because there needs to be a 'token' downloaded? Any ideas how to force this token to download again? Please please can I have some sensible suggestions

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing I can suggest is rebooting your router. I just checked YouTube and all is well. Cant replicate the problem, so can't search for an answer. Ain't it Hell when things work properly, sometimes?

glabarone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks however don't think it the router as I was at someone else's house over the weekend and connected via their router. I still had problems however on their iPad all works ok. Only difference I can see between us is that I sync with a pc and he uses a mac. Anyone else????

glabarone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the new DNS settings as suggested. No dice still not working. Does anyone know if Apple are working (or even acknowledging) on this issue? Seems to be pretty widespread

glabarone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep the app loads but then displays error message "cannot connect to YouTube". Internet connection is fine. I can also use you tube from web site just app not working.

Kzhbb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got same problem as you do, almost try everything. Guess something went wrong with my jailbreak, have you chech on that?

vetinari72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I seemed to have one solution to the problem where the iPad YouTube App does not connect and you get the "cannot connect" message. It has to do with the 2-step verification required by GMail.

So, you have to log into the GMail account that is linked to your YouTube account, go to Accounts (next to your picture is a little drop-down arrow) and click on Security on the left hand side. This will open up the Security Centre where you will see a button called Edit that is next to 2-step verification. Click on Edit and this will open up another page. Look for Manage application-specific passwords. At this point you may be asked to Verify yourself again. Just put in your normal password and click verify. In the middle of the page you will see a blank box with Generate Password next to it. Enter a name: for example YouTube for iPad and click Generate Password. This will then generate a password. Next go to the YouTube App on your iPad and open it. Click sign-in and enter your GMail address and the password that is generated for you by the system (it will be 16 random letters generated by GMail - black letters on a yellow background). Then click sign-in. This should now give you access to YouTube. DO NOT LOG OUT AGAIN. Just close the YouTube app. If you logout again, you are going to have to redo the whole thing from scratch.

Hope this helps
Veti

Most reactions