What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot clear history

Ipadwaukesha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to do this? I have attempted to clear history, cache and cookies through settings as well as clearing history through Safari. Nothing seems to work even after all that plus rebooting. Anyone?
Thanks v:D

Lightyear04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clearing history from settings or the bookmarks bar does not clear previously viewed urls from open "pages." To clear previously viewed urls, click the double square pages icon in the Safari bar on the iPad and delete all currently populated pages until only a "new page" holder remains.

Arga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clearing previously viewed url

To clear previously viewed urls, click the double square pages icon in the Safari bar on the iPad and delete all currently populated pages until only a "new page" holder remains.
Yeah but it doesn't clear list of previously viewed url from the pull down Window.

Arga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to type url address starting by typing "http" , and a pull down windows will pop up with list of previously viewed url. How do I clear this.

Lightyear04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clearing History

Arga,
Closing any open pages in Safari is in addition to going into the iPad Settings App>Safari> and clicking on Clear History. Simply closing the pages won't clear the history, it is just a step you have to perform BEFORE clearing the history from the settings app. What happens is that if you still have an open page in Safari that you have used and have history in, Safari will not clear the history for the currently open page that you've been using to browse. Remember, Safari allows you to have up to 8 open browsing pages, each with their own histories, so if any are still open, Safari will not clear their histories from the Settings App entry for Safari.

Reride54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried this. Says cannot clear history. The clear history toggle on Safari will not highlight and does not function. Clearing cookies and data does not clear history. Any other ideas?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried this. Says cannot clear history. The clear history toggle on Safari will not highlight and does not function. Clearing cookies and data does not clear history. Any other ideas?
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Maybe you're in Private Browsing mode. Safari looks like this

image-2491305324.jpg

and you can't delete the history there. If this is the case, then open a new tab or tap the address/search bar. You'll see "Private" either at the bottom of the screen, or above the keyboard. Tap it, and you should be able to delete your browser history in Safari.

Last edited:

Reride54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
History

Hi, welcome to iPF!

Maybe you're in Private Browsing mode. Safari looks like this

View attachment 52532

and you can't delete the history there. If this is the case, then open a new tab or tap the address/search bar. You'll see "Private" either at the bottom of the screen, or above the keyboard. Tap it, and you should be able to delete your browser history in Safari.

Thanks, but I'm not in private browsing. I cannot go into private browsing as that toggle does not appear. I updated to 7.04.1 and I've lost most of my functionality.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not in private browsing. I cannot go into private browsing as that toggle does not appear. I updated to 7.04.1 and I've lost most of my functionality.
In this case it may be better to restore your iPad to factory settings through iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414
and perform a reset afterwards (press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, release both and let the device power up.)

Reride54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New information same old problem

I restored my iPad from iTunes. I did not download my apps, iBooks, etc. I could clear history in Safari time after time. After reloading my Apps from the backup file, I can no longer clear history. Any ideas as to what I should look for in there?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you enabled restrictions.
Go to Settings - General - Restrictions - Allowed Content - Websites. If "All" is not enabled, it's possible that you can't clear your history in Safari.

Last edited:

Reride54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was the fix!!! Thank you! I put restrictions on as my son is dating a young lady with a 7 y/o boy who uses it to play games when they are over. Didn't want him looking into any sites that may not be appropriate. I did not relate the restrictions with the loss of clearing history.
My other issue of not having a private browsing toggle still remains. Not a big issue but it bugs me that it's gone since the update.

Most reactions

Latest posts