What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot boot 4.2.1 redsn0w tethered after reset

andry1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi to everyone,
it seems like I have a very big problem. I had the 4.2.1 mounted on my iPad, jailbroken with redsn0w tethered mode. The iPad was at 21% and I had to delete all the things in it..... What I did?? I went in settings, then reset, then erase all data and content... It restarted to clean itself but now it's into an infinite loop...
I googled a lot, trying for every possible solutions..... I tried of everything, but I cannot make it works....
Everyone did the same exact thing and solved???

Thank u soo much for ur help..

Andrea

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to restore in iTunes from DFU mode on the iPad. AFAIK it must be DFU in this situation, nothing else will do.
If you are trying to restore to 4.2.1 and not 4.3 make sure you are using tinyumbrella to serve up the right shsh blobs to iTunes (assuming you saved them when you jailbroke)
If you don't have blobs saved your only option is to restore 4.3 at the moment.

Hope that helps...

OP
A

andry1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot enter in a normal DFU mode cause I got the infinite loop with the white apple logo.
This is a tethered jailbreak, so I think I need to turn on with the redsn0w option "boot tethered now" but... I cannot follow the instructions, it always tell me "DFU mode failed".....

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait a few days until the battery dies and then try DFU. Next time wait for a untethered jailbreak, and even then wait for it to mature so they can fix big bugs if there are any.

OP
A

andry1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait a few days until the battery dies and then try DFU. Next time wait for a untethered jailbreak, and even then wait for it to mature so they can fix big bugs if there are any.
Yes, I thought to this too... My iPad is low battery, I bother it a lot of times, pressing the sleep button, to make the battery reaches zero.... I hope that this procedure will give me back the DFU mode......

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just do nothing. Put it in a cabinet perhaps to resist the urge.

OP
A

andry1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just do nothing. Put it in a cabinet perhaps to resist the urge.
Oh ok bionunny, I will bother just sometimes to see if the iPad is totally at zero..... Do u think this can help in resetting everything? If the nand is totally corrupted is possible to change it in an human way?

Thank u

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When your putting your iPad in DFU mode your replacing your entire bootloader as well as your firmware. Wait, sorry I forgot to mention that a dead iPad can't get to DFU. So try plugging it in your Mac/PC after it's dead and then try DFU mode.

Last edited:
OP
A

andry1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When your putting your iPad in DFU mode your replacing your entire bootloader as well as your firmware.

OK, but now it gets in a strange DFU mode, I'm sure is something like that cause the iPad ignores my input (keys, cables.... just blank screen).... but the computer doesn't recognize it...
If it gets totally to zero, I reconnect and try to put in DFU, do u think there a possibility it will work again?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, DFU mode will help it (hopefully) and in technical terms in DFU mode the iPad doesn't attempt to even start up it just is like booting a PC/Mac/Linux from a restore disk and waiting for it to get erased.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andry1234 said:
OK, but now it gets in a strange DFU mode, I'm sure is something like that cause the iPad ignores my input (keys, cables.... just blank screen).... but the computer doesn't recognize it...
If it gets totally to zero, I reconnect and try to put in DFU, do u think there a possibility it will work again?

Try another PC/Mac such as maybe your friends. Then just restore it there and don't synch it. Or try another USB port.

OP
A

andry1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andry1234 said:

Try another PC/Mac such as maybe your friends. Then just restore it there and don't synch it. Or try another USB port.

I already tried with two Macbook Pro, all the usb ports... Tried even on a PC with windows XP installed.. nothing...
Last hope is to make the battery reach zero and pray that the DFU mode will work..

Most reactions