What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can´t upgrade from jailbroken 4.2.1 to 5.0.1

pozzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I´m trying to upgrade my iPad 1 from jailbroken IOS 4.2.1 to the recent unthetered 5.0.1

The problem is that I can´t do the 1st step, restoring from 4.2.1 to 5.0.1

iTunes simply tells it can´t do that and gives error messages.

Anyhelp?

Thanks a lot

OP
P

pozzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, Archangel, for the double thread on the same issue. I was a little bit confused...

OP
P

pozzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn

I did everything as the tutorials said, but I keep receiving the iTunes error #1601 when I try to restore from 4.2.1 to 5.0.1

What can I do?

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, the dreaded errors...

Unfortunately, sometimes, all doesn't go exactly to plan. So, here's some things to try:

(1) Ensure you are running the most up-to-date iTunes (download it from Apple's site here: Apple - iTunes - Everything you need to be entertained.)

(2) Take a look through the error codes/explanation in this Apple support link here: iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

Essentially, it wants to to try various USB fixes, use a different cable, turn off any firewall/virus protection, etc.

Two big things we've seen is that it helps to connect the iPad directly to your computer (don't use a dock) and turn off the anti-virus software. Oh, and update iTunes to the latest version.

So, look through this Apple guide and follow their suggestions. Hopefully, they'll work for you. If not, come on back and we'll try again. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
P

pozzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, not yet...

I think it´s a USB port problem with my notebook

I´ll try in another computer

OP
P

pozzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

Thanks to your help sending me the the tutorial my problem was solved!

The problem was that I was using SHSH Blobs from Cydia

Having hosts file which are pointing towards Cydia and not Apple is probably the number one cause of issues when trying to restore a device

I used TinyUmbrella and Voilá! it worked fine!

The magic step: UNTICK the TinyUmbrella "Advanced" tab option which says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit"
Thanks a lot

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always forget that tutorial ... then f4780y recommends it ... then it works! You'd think that eventually, it'd dawn on me to link to that first... :D

Glad you got it successfully sorted, pozzo! Welcome to 5.0.1 and have fun!

Marilyn

Most reactions