What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you use your IPAD to mirror your desktop with a hard line connection?

hatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a very unique problem. In my situation, I will have no access to a wireless network, nor can I create one (wireless router or otherwise). This creates a problem when attempting to use an IPAD as the computers keyboard/video/mouse. I wonder if it's at all possible to do this through either usb, ethernet, svga, or serial from the IPAD to the computer? I'm currently using the IPAD 2, but can easily upgrade to a newer version if needed to accomplish this. Any ideas?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
The ipad will only connect to the www via wifi. It will hard wire sync to iTunes, but not the web. The other solution is to use the pc or mac as your www hub, then use a remote desktop app like Splashtop to control the computer from your iPad. But, I think a router is needed so your pc and iPad can view each other.

OP
H

hatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad will only connect to the www via wifi. It will hard wire sync to iTunes, but not the web. The other solution is to use the pc or mac as your www hub, then use a remote desktop app like Splashtop to control the computer from your iPad. But, I think a router is needed so your pc and iPad can view each other.

That's kind of what I'm getting. It has very limited capability without wifi. It's simple data transfer or reverse mirror only(hdmi patch with video from IPAD to comp). thanks for your imput.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Buying yourself a router would be quote beneficial. They're really really cheap, and even without conventional wifi Internet, a router opens up a host of iPad to pc capabilities.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While the iPad has video out pins in the connector it does not have any video in pins.

To get video in to the iPad you would need a special app to transfer it via USB. As far as I know the iPad does not support any USB to video standars, so the developer would face the non-trivial chalange of writing both a computer and iPad app combination. To the best of my knowledge there is no such app, if it can even be done; which is not certain.

Most reactions

Latest posts