What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you "remotely control" an iPad?

Joanna91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are getting grandma her first iPad. I will be getting it up for her so she can check the news and stuff. My question is...would it be possible for me to somehow "remotely control" the iPad so I can show her how to do things if she's stuck?

She lives alone and has never had any kind of Apple device.

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are getting grandma her first iPad. I will be getting it up for her so she can check the news and stuff. My question is...would it be possible for me to somehow "remotely control" the iPad so I can show her how to do things if she's stuck?

She lives alone and has never had any kind of Apple device.

Thanks!
There's no way to remotely control an iPad or any other iOS device in the way you can remotely control a computer. The iPad user guide may be of help to her. http://help.apple.com/ipad/10/

OP
Joanna91

Joanna91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I ended printing some pictures and circled where to tap, good thing the iPad only has that one physical button.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you, I ended printing some pictures and circled where to tap, good thing the iPad only has that one physical button.

Screenshots and the the Annotable app are handy for making simple tutorials for the iPad and apps. We use that method a lot on this forum.

OP
Joanna91

Joanna91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right, she just called me and asked what those up and down volume buttons were for again. I didn't have my iPad with me at the time, it took me a few minutes to remember iPad had those extra side buttons.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yep almost all iPads have volume buttons and also a on off button and a home button if im not mistaken. There is also a little switch button that can me used for making the sound mute or something like that.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yep almost all iPads have volume buttons and also a on off button and a home button if im not mistaken. There is also a little switch button that can me used for making the sound mute or something like that.
All of the iPads do have Volume buttons, but not all of them have the Mute button (the side switch next to the Volume buttons).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

For more specific information concerning the 'Side Switch', the pic below is from an Apple KB Article - the switch (when present) can control either orientation or mute. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 9.24.46 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts