can you recommend an antimalware app for the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ed44, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Ed44

Ed44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm quite security conscious with my Windows PC and was wondering if any of you can recommend anything for the iPad. I'm not sure if it's even necessary, but I'm concerned due to some recent strange behavior I mentioned in another thread. BTW, I prefer free apps if possible. Thanks in advance. Ed

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are no anti-virus or anti-malware apps in the App Store as such an app would require full access to all other apps on the device and would violate app sandboxing rules. By strictly limiting an app’s access to data outside that required for essential operations it limits the harm a malicious app that gets past app review can do to the system.

3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    One thing you can do is install a really effective adblocker. The usual Safari extensions are a bit weak, IMHO, so I use Weblock, a proxy app that blocks ads and other unwanted content from appearing in most apps, not just a browser. Not free, but worth it. The only downside is having to reactivate the VPN in Settings after every reboot.

4. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, scifan 57 and LannyC.
    I already use Proton VPN, FYI
    So , if it isn't malware causing the problem, how can I be receiving this oriental writing on various sites, and before doing a complete factory reset, is there any other way to eliminate it? You folks have been very helpful and I appreciate it. I love my iPad and want to keep it in good operating order.

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you take a look at the keyboard settings?

6. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I’m not sure what to check in keyboard settings. I did note it’s set to English.
    BTW, I’m also using a VPN (proton). Hopefully that should keep some bad actors away.

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are two places you should check: Keyboards and Language & Region.
    Bot are in Settings - General:
    85F6A24F-C582-4296-A0A6-92E64E19DA91.jpeg
    In Keyboard, select Keyboards:
    787372FA-0426-4D66-8FA8-341CE7141B9D.jpeg
    and remove languages you don’t need. Tap “Edit” at the top right and delete them:
    25B712C4-B617-41D7-B634-496AE11168BA.jpeg

The languages you’ve set up for your keyboard also show up in Language & Region, and removing them from the keyboard won’t delete them from there, so you’ll have to do that separately. In Language & Region, you’ll find your preferred language order.
    4CF95515-8523-4B37-A2EE-74598F8CE98E.jpeg
    To remove the ones you don’t need, select “Edit” at the top right and delete them:
    4D9364AD-147F-4891-92AE-20ACC87B5579.jpeg
    One of these settings might be the reason for your issue. That’s why I suggested taking a look at them. If there’s a language like Chinese or Khmer (as you see in my screenshot), or something else like these, remove them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Nice detailed explanation, J.A. When I get back on my iPad later, I'll try them out. Ed

9. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    J.A., my screen looks much different than yours. Mine-nowhere near matches what yours shows. I still find that everything seems to be in order on my device; English Settings all around. However, this annoyance is not hindering me from using my iPad, so I’m not going to be concerned about it anymore. If the situation deteriorates, I’ll just do a complete reset and start over. That won’t be a big deal for me. I do appreciate your assistance, as well as others on this thread. Ed

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Ed - in Settings (and assuming that your iPadOS is up to date), you should see the same listings and items - Johanna is using 'Dark Mode' (link HERE), hence the 'somber background' :cool: I prefer the other older mode which you are likely using. Sorry, but cannot add much to your 'language' issue. Good luck - Dave :)