What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you please help-iPad locked

mbcnew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi- I am a retired civil and structural engineer, and computers etc are one of my hobbies. Phone xxxx edit post xxxx admin
My grand daughter and her friend (both 8) were playing on my iPad when it locked up. It just happened they said-well they would wouldn't they. The friend has a history of messing with the settings despite being told not to.
It is a first gen pad running software 5.1.1
I have 4 times now tried unlocking it in recovery mode doing a restore and re-set to factory settings, itunes says your iPad is restored and ready for use. It runs to the 'Enable Location Services' screen, but the slider will not move. There is a small lock icon at the top of the screen. I can shut it down as the shutdown slider works. Nothing else happens. The home and sleep buttons obviously work.
The other odd thing is that after the restore and reset the 'my iPad' button appears in itunes, but when I click on it, it disappears, and itune does not recognise that the iPad is connected.
Any ideas of what the problem is and how to correct it?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums from Australia. It seems you have a restore issue I have one question are you running the latest iTunes on your computer

Oh one more thing I removed your ph number from your post as it is against our rules.

OP
M

mbcnew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata: it is on the first page introduction by Johnny Apple:Thanks for registering at Apple iPad Forum! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

For our new members, we always suggest creating a new "Welcome Post" in our New Member Introduction area, to do so simply follow this link: Create New Thread.

You can of course also visit that section and click the 'New Thread' button. Tell us a bit about yourself, your current phone and why you may be interested in the Apple iPad.

Our Apple iPad related news is posted to our Twitter account as well, so if you would like to get up to the minute notifications on that, why not follow our Twitter Account and be the first in the know!

You can also find us on Facebook, please become a fan! iPad Facebook Page

All the best,
Apple iPad Forum

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata: it is on the first page introduction by Johnny Apple:Thanks for registering at Apple iPad Forum! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay. For our new members, we always suggest creating a new "Welcome Post" in our New Member Introduction area, to do so simply follow this link: Create New Thread. You can of course also visit that section and click the 'New Thread' button. Tell us a bit about yourself, your current phone and why you may be interested in the Apple iPad. Our Apple iPad related news is posted to our Twitter account as well, so if you would like to get up to the minute notifications on that, why not follow our Twitter Account and be the first in the know! You can also find us on Facebook, please become a fan! iPad Facebook Page All the best, Apple iPad Forum
It says current phone as what type of phone do you use not your phone #.

OP
M

mbcnew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks J.A. Tried the DFU route, but end result is exactly the same. The instructions imply that if DFU fails it is likely to be a hardware fault. Can anyone offer advise on whether or not it is worth repairing (or even possible)? This could be my excuse to buy a new pad!

Most reactions

Latest posts