What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you password protect files?

Speedster00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys- I use an IPAD for work and personal use and Im interested in password protecting certain files or folders. Do you know if there is an app or a way to password pictures?

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Good Reader, yes you can create a master pasword and then apply it to selected folders or inidvidual files.

Digitalclips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Protecting Files

Hey guys- I use an IPAD for work and personal use and Im interested in password protecting certain files or folders. Do you know if there is an app or a way to password pictures?

Absolutely. The app called GoodReader .
It does far more than the ad implies. It isn't just a PDF reader. You can create folders with passwords protection that can contain anything from videos, photos, text whatever and view them directly within GoodReader or open in other apps. I give this app 10 out of 5 stars! :D

I wanted to add the URL but this bog says I can't as I have insufficient posts ... sorry.

I find being called an iPad Noob funny by this Blog. I train and support iPads as well as many Apple products and have for over thirty years.

Last edited:

danardh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Digitalclips, Your post is very helpful...just to clarify for myself before downloading Good Reader..can you add a specific app to Good Reader...to be exact I have a app about sex jokes and don't want my son having access to it, but dont want to have to lock the entire iPad. Thank you

jhall124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kriskiter said:
With Good Reader, yes you can create a master pasword and then apply it to selected folders or inidvidual files.

GoodReader is an excellent app. I've been using it for some time now.
Love it !!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Digitalclips, Your post is very helpful...just to clarify for myself before downloading Good Reader..can you add a specific app to Good Reader...to be exact I have a app about sex jokes and don't want my son having access to it, but dont want to have to lock the entire iPad. Thank you

Unfortunately, no, Goodreader cannot help you lock down an app. You can password-protect files within Goodreader, but it cannot access other apps.

Without a jailbroken iPad, there is no way to lock an app so that no one can access it. The best suggestion for you is to delete that jokes app when you're not using it, so your son can't get to it. Then, when you're ready to use it, re-download it from the App Store (as, once you buy an app, you can always uninstall/reinstall it with no additional charges).

Not a good solution, I know, but the best available. Sorry.

Marilyn

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This issue comes up frequently because as the OP and others have noted the iPad is frequently used as a "family" rather than a purely "personal" device. The iOS heritage fails to account for the very different likely use of a phone and a tablet. Furthermore, those who are accustomed to accessing common storage on a computer may not fully understand the implications of the iPad's "walled garden" architecture that puts each individual app in charge of the content it accesses.

Long story short.

() You cannot password protect an individual app. This is a weakness of the entire iOS architecture. Of course, if you're an Apple shareholder there is some benefit in encouraging families to purchase separate iPads for every family member, I suppose.

() The only way the content associated with an app can be password protected is if the app itself provides that functionality. Some note taking apps do that. And I suspect there are photo album apps that do so, as well, though I'm not familiar with them. However, that doesn't necessarily solve the problem...

() ...And that's because if you access a file (e.g. a photo) stored in, say, the Camera Roll, with another app (e.g. a photo album app), you will make a second copy of the file but you will not "move" or "delete" the first. To do that, you'll have to delete the first photo in Camera Roll manually.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking at SAFE right now and what I want/need is the ability to drag apps together to creat a file (I can do that) and then password protect the resulting folder that is created on the springboard. I want to have all my banking apps in one password protected folder. Can it be done? I've been a couple hours scouring forums and researching password apps and am coming up short. I don't see, specifically, where SAFE can do this.

Cheers, Dan

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking at SAFE right now and what I want/need is the ability to drag apps together to creat a file (I can do that) and then password protect the resulting folder that is created on the springboard. I want to have all my banking apps in one password protected folder. Can it be done? I've been a couple hours scouring forums and researching password apps and am coming up short. I don't see, specifically, where SAFE can do this.

Cheers, Dan

Hey, Dan, since you're jail broken, have you looked at this Cydia tweak: AppLocker ($.99, USD)? According to the description, "...you can lock apps, folders, home screen layout and even more..."

I've not tried it (just me accessing the iPad), but might it be good for what you want?

Marilyn

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Secret Folder is an app that allows passcode protection and lets you keep files private. If you have an iPad 2, you can even set it up so it takes a photo of anyone who tries to access the folder with the wrong passcode.

More info available here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/51173-privacy-ipad.html
Thany you Kaykaykay, I hadn't even thought to use the keyword "privacy" in my forum search. I'll look at my secret folder and see if it will do as I am wanting.

Cheers, Dan

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey, Dan, since you're jail broken, have you looked at this Cydia tweak: AppLocker ($.99, USD)? According to the description, "...you can lock apps, folders, home screen layout and even more..."

I've not tried it (just me accessing the iPad), but might it be good for what you want?

Marilyn

Thank you Marilyn, I'll have a look at that one, too.

Cheers, Dan

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thany you Kaykaykay, I hadn't even thought to use the keyword "privacy" in my forum search. I'll look at my secret folder and see if it will do as I am wanting.

Cheers, Dan

You're welcome. Marilyn's suggestion sounds better if you're JB, because My Secret Folder doesn't let you lock up apps, if you're looking for that, too.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're welcome. Marilyn's suggestion sounds better if you're JB, because My Secret Folder doesn't let you lock up apps, if you're looking for that, too.

Thank you to both of you, Kaykaykay and Marilyn. I went with AppLocker and right off I liked it. I got it set up in a flash and have my banking safely behind bars. So here is a "like" for both of you.

Cleers, Dan

Most reactions