What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we disable the ipad keyboard if using a bluetooth keyboard like Zaggmate?

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason I am asking this is .....

I use messenger to chat with friends, but prefer to use the Zaggmate keyboard to type on. Unfortunately, the ipad keyboard also remains on the ipad screen in messenger when I also use the bluetooth zaggmate. Thus leaving me very little viewing space for the chat window. I would like to be able to disable the ipad keyboard while using this particular app

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ayrshire said:
The reason I am asking this is .....

I use messenger to chat with friends, but prefer to use the Zaggmate keyboard to type on. Unfortunately, the ipad keyboard also remains on the ipad screen in messenger when I also use the bluetooth zaggmate. Thus leaving me very little viewing space for the chat window. I would like to be able to disable the ipad keyboard while using this particular app

Does the on-screen keyboard go away when you press the F3 button on your ZaggMate? I've never seen an app that keeps the on-screen keyboard on the screen when you have an external keyboard active (unless you manually activate the on-screen keyboard with the F3 button).... Is this a native iPad app or an iPhone app running on the iPad?

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On your Zaggmate there is a keyboard emblem on the fourth key from the left on the top row. That might help if you press that one. I don't have that problem. I like my Zaggmate too!

OP
A

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks folks for your replies.

the app I am using is the Windows Live Messenger and the one I use is actually an iphone app that I just enlarge to fit the iPad screen. The app for the iPad is called Msn & Live Messenger which doesn't have great reviews. I have not had any issues at all with my iPhone app other than I would like to disable the keyboard that is taking up too much of my chat screen.

Also, I have tried clicking on the Zaggmate keyboard icon on the top row and it doesn't eliminate the extra keyboard on the iPad. I'm assuming this is the same as the function3 solution.

If anyone has figured out how to disable the ipad keyboard temporarily I would be most grateful to learn how.

thank you

Reaction score
Ayrshire said:
thanks folks for your replies.

the app I am using is the Windows Live Messenger and the one I use is actually an iphone app that I just enlarge to fit the iPad screen. The app for the iPad is called Msn & Live Messenger which doesn't have great reviews. I have not had any issues at all with my iPhone app other than I would like to disable the keyboard that is taking up too much of my chat screen.

Also, I have tried clicking on the Zaggmate keyboard icon on the top row and it doesn't eliminate the extra keyboard on the iPad. I'm assuming this is the same as the function3 solution.

If anyone has figured out how to disable the ipad keyboard temporarily I would be most grateful to learn how.

thank you

It seems you are trying to disable the iPhone keyboard, not the iPad keyboard. The latter does hide automatically when using an external keyboard. I would imagine that this is just something Apple never implemented.

My suggestion would be to use an iPad app for chatting, than the keyboard will hide. IMO, or IM+ should work.

Most reactions

Latest posts