What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the 3G iPad replace a phone?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I currently have a wifi only iPad, and honestly I think I carry it on me more often than my phone. I know there is that tweak/hack in Cydia which will allow the 3G iPad to work like a phone. Has anyone had an extensive exposure to this feature to give me their personal opinion on how it is? Whether or not i should turn over to the 3G model? Would it cause AT&T to force me to get a higher data plan, or could I use the exact plan that I have now? (700 min, unlim txt, 2gb data)

andysmfc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know how you'd look walking around holding an iPad to your ear.... Might get some funny looks

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
andysmfc said:
Don't know how you'd look walking around holding an iPad to your ear.... Might get some funny looks

Haha well I'm more of a texter, but I was thinking of a Bluetooth headset for the calls

classiqa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not an good Idea but still it is always good to have have two numbers and the other No can be your Ipad 3G.

andysmfc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh you could get away with that haha ... I'd be interested to know if there is a way this can be done
I'm not keen on jail breaking/hacking my iPad tho

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to be able to make calls from mine before google shut down the gizmo service.

bigmanofds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an app called "Whistle" that I downloaded from the app store. It works pretty well for calls on 3G. I have not tried to use a Bluetooth head set yet but I can send and receive calls on my iPad 1 with no jail breaking or hacks.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get Line2 for your iPad and your set. Permanent number for 10 bucks a month, texting and unlimited calls, super slick interface, voicemail etc. Pretty cool app.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I sometimes use Whistle (ad-based) or Skype. My wired headset works fine but I'd imagine that my BT headsets would also work.

Tomscave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use Whistle (free in App store) with my iPad 2 3G. Works well for calls whether on wifi or AT&T 3G.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beryl said:
I sometimes use Whistle (ad-based) or Skype. My wired headset works fine but I'd imagine that my BT headsets would also work.

BT headsets work on the latest version of Skype, but only for audio calls. Turn on video, and the capability disappears. You can, however, use a wired headset for video.

Most reactions

Latest posts