What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone explain digital downloading through Apple?

ohradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So without getting into it...I'd rather start buying movies online than the physical copy. What are restrictions on buying movies through Apple, and how many times can you transfer it? Like say could I buy it on iTunes, transfer it to my computer, then transfer it to my hard drive, also put it on my ipad, and transfer it to a USB stick? Or are there only so many transfers? So I'm just curious as to how it works, and what type of file it is. If someone could fill an uneducated guy (in this area) in, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can save your iTunes Store movies to data DVDs for backup purposes (if you have a supported DVD burner), but these DVDs will not play in a DVD player.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ohradio said:
So without getting into it...I'd rather start buying movies online than the physical copy. What are restrictions on buying movies through Apple, and how many times can you transfer it? Like say could I buy it on iTunes, transfer it to my computer, then transfer it to my hard drive, also put it on my ipad, and transfer it to a USB stick? Or are there only so many transfers? So I'm just curious as to how it works, and what type of file it is. If someone could fill an uneducated guy (in this area) in, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Okay...i'll bite, but only because it will probably flush out someone here who really knows what they are talking about and correct anything I write that is incorrect so you'll get a proper answer!

As I understand it, any one iTunes account can be linked to up to five authorised computers which are allowed to use the content purchased through that account. These can be pcs or macs. Any number of devices, iPads, iPods etc can be linked to these authorised computers. You would normally sync each device to only one of the comps (although there is a tricksy work around for this, I don't really understand it).eg, I sync my iPod and iPad to our desktop. DH syncs his ipod to his laptop. You might find it more convenient to buy content through iTunes on the computer that has the most storage available as it will be saved to your hard drive, and a back up copy can be made to an external hard drive, USB etc. This movie can be transferred to any of your devices by dragging the content across in iTunes (this is how I do it anyway as I manually manage the content). I'm pretty sure that once you have put the movie from your pc on to your iPad, you can then transfer it to another authorised computer from that iPad. You wouldn't be able to do this if it isn't authorised, eg, you can't buy a film on your account and transfer it via your iPad to your pal's computer unless his computer is authorised on your iTunes account too.

Most reactions

Latest posts