What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Photo Resizing on iTunes Upload be Turned Off

warc1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have uploaded a number of 50 Mpixel photos of old maps to use as a portable reference for a research project. Itunes automatically downsizes the photos to about 1/16th of the original resolution before uploading them to my 9.7" Pro. Is there any way to stop this since it renders the maps illegible and thus useless?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, you're not going to accomplish your goal w/ images that are 50 MP in size, i.e. GIGANTIC! The resolution on the larger iPad Pro is 2732 x 2048, which when multiplied gives a total of 5.6 MP - iTunes needs to down-size those images to fit the iPad's screen resolution.

Second, you can try to resize the images on your computer to say '5 MP' and then try an upload (probably will not satisfy you?) - there are other ways to get images onto your iPad, e.g. take a look at my post #6 in this THREAD - might provide slightly improved resolution - not sure?

Please let us know your results - many ask these questions. My bottom line is to achieve the resolution of a 50 MP image requires a much larger screen that is also high pixel density. Dave

OP
W

warc1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the response.

I obviously wasn't clear in describing my issue. It's not a screen resolution issue since I'm not looking for an 8k display to fully render my 50MP images. Instead, I need the ability to pan and zoom a full 8k image within a 2k display so I can examine all of the detail contained within. I don't think this is an unreasonable request for a "Pro" device marketed as a laptop replacement. Any desktop, laptop or Windows tablet can do this.

I specifically bought the 256GB model to deal with large image files and it's more than a little frustrating to discover my high end hardware is purposely crippled to maintain compatibility with a lowest common denominator OS and software.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the response.

I obviously wasn't clear in describing my issue. It's not a screen resolution issue since I'm not looking for an 8k display to fully render my 50MP images. Instead, I need the ability to pan and zoom a full 8k image within a 2k display so I can examine all of the detail contained within...........

Thanks Warc1 for the clarification - so, your goal is to upload the 50 MP images to the iPad Pro and then be able to zoom around them - you can check the link given in my previous post to see if any of the alternatives to iTunes upload of pics to the device might take the full resolution images? Not sure - but all that comes to mind at the moment - good luck and let us know if you find a solution - I'm sure others may have the same needs. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you convert the images to PDF you 'might' be able to do what you want in a PDF app like GoodReader or PDF Expert (or the Free Adobe Reader app). GoodReader would be my first choice to try this, but I already own it so I'm biased.

Given the huge size of the images I don't expect the perfomrance will be great, even if the app accepts the image; but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Most reactions

Latest posts