What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can not download the DropBox app to my PC

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know, the answer is probably somewhere in the threads, I have searched, but would be grateful for assistance. I have devoted time and some travel to researching certain aspects of WW2 in Europe and have accumulated PDF files etc on my Win 7 PC which I would like to sync to my new iPad to be able to refer to online/offline. DropBox seems popular, among some others, so I had a go and easily downloaded the app to my iPad first. But going on line to download DropBox from its home page onto my PC is a problem as it won't download. Starts the download but stalls and does not even get to the Run/Save choice. Tried disabling my Kasperky and Microsoft Security Essentials software but to no avail. A cloud based client that would enable me to automatically have notes, PDF files, correspondence viewable on my PC or iPad at any time, and back-up of course, would be the way to go. I'm talking DropBox because it seems popular with you guys and reviewers but then there is Microsoft's SkyDrive with 7 free Gig compared to DropBox 2 Gig, SugarSync, Google Drive (available for iOS. I'm not sure.??) etc ...... Oh dear. Decisions..decisions, but DropBox first. If it is good and I can download to PC then these files of mine are important enough to wear a monthly $ subscription. Need to download to PC. Reading through, I did not mean to end up with so many questions at once, sorry! Thanks and regards
Andrew

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If no one has a better suggestion, maybe you can get more help here. I notice there is a support request link at the bottom right of the page, if the other links don't help. It's more of a Windows PC problem than an iPad problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/help

Good luck.

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. I've looked at those and many other suggestions including the DropBox Forum but no go. Weird, it doesn't like my PC for some reason. But stiff Cheddar! Their loss not mine. There are other popular cloud-based storage/sync clients that I will now explore, with more than a measly 2 Gig free storage. Again, appreciate your response.
Regards, Andrew

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OB said:
Thank you very much for your reply. I've looked at those and many other suggestions including the DropBox Forum but no go. Weird, it doesn't like my PC for some reason. But stiff Cheddar! Their loss not mine. There are other popular cloud-based storage/sync clients that I will now explore, with more than a measly 2 Gig free storage. Again, appreciate your response.
Regards, Andrew

You could try downloading from another Pc, save to USB and install from that. Just make sure the other PC is running the same OS (including the 32 or 64 bit) as it seems Dropbox detects the correct OS version to download.

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you (another helpfully Brissy guy) and of course I can get to a mate's PC and I've got a swag of those little USB gizmos, but my heart is no longer Into this "Box that Drops" so I will be looking into either Google Drive (I have many Google Picaso photos on my PC) or Microsoft's SkyDrive. Again, thanks mate!
All the best, Andrew

NickyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried to download the file with another browser? Like Chrome, Firefox, Safari ?

I see you're from Adelaide, have a mate there,told me all about it, great place to live ! :)

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NickyD said:
Have you tried to download the file with another browser? Like Chrome, Firefox, Safari ?

I see you're from Adelaide, have a mate there,told me all about it, great place to live ! :)

Thanks Nicky for your suggestion. I also have Google Chrome (as well as Internet Explorer as default) on my PC but cannot download from either. After a lot of diagnostics/fiddling about I am now convinced it's my computer as it is showing problems in other aspects (like slowly opening of files) So I think nothing wrong with DropBox and I must apologise for my petulance to all the good folk who use DropBox My expertise in computer systems is very limited so I will seek some more expert help. As they say, many problems can be solved if you throw enough money at them.
Yes Adelaide is a great place to live with a great climate etc but it has only one fault..... You sometimes get computer glitches here LOL. Again, thank you very much for your interest. All the best!
Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts