What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iTunes version 11.3 be used to download iOS 8.1.1?

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iTunes version on the computer at my local public library always asks if I wish to update to iOS 8.1.1. The version is less than iTune 11.4. Since this iTunes version offers to download iOS 8.1.1, may one assume the iTunes version is capable of performing a satisfactory download, although it is less than version 11.4?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iTunes version on the computer at my local public library always asks if I wish to update to iOS 8.1.1. The version is less than iTune 11.4. Since this iTunes version offers to download iOS 8.1.1, may one assume the iTunes version is capable of performing a satisfactory download, although it is less than version 11.4?
You're going to need iTunes 12 before using it to upgrade your iPad to iOS 8.1.1. Also, it's not recommended that you use a public computer to do the upgrade. As part of the upgrade procedure you would have to authorize the computer under your Apple ID. Your iPad would also be backed up to this computer as part of the upgrade process. Do you really want to download the personal info in a backup to a publicly accessible computer?

Also, depending on the WiFi speed at your local library, the download of the upgrade file and the upgrade itself could take several hours.

OP
G

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, scifan57.

I've had my iPad a little over two years and only recently started to become familiar with iTunes. How does one find out which version of iTunes is compatible with a new iOS upgrade? Does Apple publish this information?

Wikipedia is saying that iTunes 11.4 will do. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, scifan57.

I've had my iPad a little over two years and only recently started to become familiar with iTunes. How does one find out which version of iTunes is compatible with a new iOS upgrade? Does Apple publish this information?

Wikipedia is saying that iTunes 11.4 will do. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history)
That's if you're on OSX Mavericks. If you're on OSX Yosemite, you'll need ITunes 12.

OP
G

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if the iTunes app. Is on a PC running Windows?

Also, as asked previously, where does Apple publish the information you give in your previous post?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are several support websites online where you can find information about this.

Apple always recommends to update to the latest version of iTunes, no matter what you're doing. An earlier version could cause problems that the latest software would prevent.

Accoring to the website you posted, iTunes 11.3 doesn't even support iOS 8. Since the latest iOS software available is 8.1.1, you'll need iTunes 12 to make sure there won't be major issues during or after updating.

OP
G

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several support websites online where you can find information about this.

Apple always recommends to update to the latest version of iTunes, no matter what you're doing. An earlier version could cause problems that the latest software would prevent.

Accoring to the website you posted, iTunes 11.3 doesn't even support iOS 8. Since the latest iOS software available is 8.1.1, you'll need iTunes 12 to make sure there won't be major issues during or after updating.
Good morning J.A.,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am aware that Apple says to use the latest version of iTunes for downloading iOS upgrades.

However, having searched for iOS/iTunes compatibility information for sometime, the only material I have found on the subject thus far is that given in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history.

As shown in post # 3, above, I said that the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history shows iTunes 11.4 as the version of iTunes for downloading iOS 8.1.1.

My only statement regarding versions of iTunes prior to 11.4 is that the local public library has a copy of iTunes 11.3 and that this copy presents users the option of downloading iOS 8.1.1, which I have refused to do because of the statement by Apple to use the latest version.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this will convince you:
I'm member of this forum since more than two years. People often join to get help with a problem. I've seen many threads in the meantime where the reason for problems with iPad and iTunes is the iTunes software because it's not up to date.

It might work, if you're lucky, though I don't believe it, because iTunes 11.3 is not built for iOS 8.

Last edited:
OP
G

gsl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe this will convince you:
I'm member of this forum since more than two years. People often join to get help with a problem. I've seen many threads in the meantime where the reason for problems with iPad and iTunes is the iTunes software because it's not up to date.

It might work, if you're lucky, though I don't believe it, because iTunes 11.3 is not built for iOS 8.

J.A.,

Please permit me to conclude by saying that Wikipedia was informed of our discussion in an email to the Wikipedia Volunteer Response Team ( [email protected] ) regarding the iTunes 11.4/iOS 8.1.1 compatibility stated in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history. It was suggested that a citation to Apple documentation be included for reference in the article.

Their reply is quoted as follows:

"It worked fine for me when I did it the other day, so I guess it is probably ok.

Apple don't seem to publish it prominently, so I guess we will have a job verifying this."

If the experts who maintain Wikipedia.com consider locating iTunes/iOS compatibility sources to be a challenge, one shouldn't be surprised that threads such as this are opened on ipadforums.com.

Season's Greetings!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What it comes down to is that the 'safe' bet is to always use the latest version of iTunes for your computer and OS when updating your device. Apple is never going to tell you anything else. It's what they design for. It's what they test for.

That leaves you with word of mouth sources and your own judgement when it comes to older versions of iTunes. They may work. They may not. Or worse, they may be unpredictable and work for some and totally mess up for others. Given that even the right iTunes version can occasionally run into issues, if the update fails then you'll never know whether it was the version, or just bad luck that caused the problem.

Or you could just use the OTA update method. It's a bit riskier, but it seems to work well enough for most people. At least on newer iPads. And you can always go back to the computer and re-install if it doesn't. I used the OTA on my iPad Air. It took about a day to settle in, and the point releases to fix all the wrinkles, but they were pretty much the same (minor) wrinkles those who updated through iTunes had to deal with.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer:

WIKIPEDIA MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF VALIDITY
Wikipedia is an online open-content collaborative encyclopedia; that is, a voluntary association of individuals and groups working to develop a common resource of human knowledge. The structure of the project allows anyone with an Internet connection to alter its content. Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

That is not to say that you will not find valuable and accurate information in Wikipedia; much of the time you will. However, Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields. Note that most other encyclopedias and reference works also have disclaimers.

I'd be inclined to listen to Apple Tech staff versus Wikipedia....

Most reactions

Latest posts