What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iPad2 use GPS?

dereksiow80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May I know whether iPad 2 has built-in GPS? Kindly advise me on this matter. Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G model has GPS. The WiFi only model does not have GPS. This is because GPS shares some electronics with the 3G functionality.

Tim

OP
D

dereksiow80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your information. My iPad2 is 3G plus WiFi model, but I don't have GPS software to run the GPS. Any recommendation on this?

keraby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best to use is IGO as it does not get the info from your 3G and thus charge your mobile data.
So no more cost, I used it in Europe and middle east and it works great for me

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad has a standard app called 'Maps' that utilises GPS. Just enable 'Settings', 'Location Services' and allow Maps to use GPS and you're good to go.

Tim

boyzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't seem to have "Maps" in Location Services in my iPad2.Am I missing something here?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boyzie said:
Don't seem to have "Maps" in Location Services in my iPad2.Am I missing something here?

Tap on "Location Services" and give the list of apps a couple of seconds to come up on the right. "Location Services" must be on.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't tried iGO which seems quite good; but you might also want to look at Navigon unless the "Maps" app is enough for you.

OP
D

dereksiow80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Maps' is good but without voice guidance, it's dangerous while driving and seeing the iPad, it's much better with voice guidance. Any advise?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - then it depends which country you're in. Most navigation apps with voice are country-specific. Some have multiple versions with maps for various countries but they're all typically - though not always - expensive.

Let us know the country that you're interested in and I'm sure Members will have some good advice. You'll be able to find several threads too on this Forum where Members have discussed specific navigation apps.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts