What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iPad replace built-in nav?

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most cars nowadays offer a dashboard navigation option for about $2000, installed at the factory. Is something like the $40 Navigon iPad app (along with all the other conveniences of the iPad) a decent alternative? Is it then just a matter of mounting the iPad in the car?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just posted on this in another thread. The answer is yes. I admit that the in dash option is neater all around, but if you own an iPad and don't mind mounting hardware, navigon works very well. The large screen makes viewing very easy. I like the 3D maps that navigon gives. I don't not yet own the traffic option. Also, all the navigon apps are on sale in the app store. I dont work for them and really aren't trying to selling anyone on this app. There are other options.

My next car probably will have the nav on the dash, but I still enjoy using the iPad in my current 12-yr old car.

IMG_0459.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-...41881781&sr=8-3&keywords=akron+ipad+car+mount

Last edited:

DNC1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Navfree App on both my iPhone and iPad. It's very accurate and as the name suggests its free. The user interface isn't bad once you get used to it and the screen is based on the popular Garmin and TomTom Satnav units. I'm yet to mount he iPad properly in the car, as I'm still researching my options.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC -Thanks for this link. I ordered one and installed it and this is the bomb. It is a little wobbly when going over bumps but nothing too bad. No fear of it coming loose and I use it in with my case on.
Great addition, thanks for the link to the product. I may have to buy one for my wife's car... :)
I just posted on this in another thread. The answer is yes. I admit that the in dash option is neater all around, but if you own an iPad and don't mind mounting hardware, navigon works very well. The large screen makes viewing very easy. I like the 3D maps that navigon gives. I don't not yet own the traffic option. Also, all the navigon apps are on sale in the app store. I dont work for them and really aren't trying to selling anyone on this app. There are other options.

My next car probably will have the nav on the dash, but I still enjoy using the iPad in my current 12-yr old car.

IMG_0459.jpg

Amazon.com: Arkon Tablet Seat Bolt Mount (TAB-FSM): Electronics

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Richard,

Glad you like it. I'm a bit sad to report that I no longer use mine...I bought a new car with a 7-inch nav unit built in. It is not as nice as the iPad in the holder with navigon, but it is easier as I don't have to use that extra hardware and have wires running around. And I do miss the feature of Navigon that gives you the speed limit on any road you are on. I implement that my running Navigon on my phone and linking that into my car system via BT, but it only works when I'm using the iPhone as a source for audio.

I had these bits of stiff form that I used to brace the iPad against the dash. That cut down on the vibrations. I'm sure you can dream up some way to minimize them.

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard,

Glad you like it. I'm a bit sad to report that I no longer use mine...I bought a new car with a 7-inch nav unit built in. It is not as nice as the iPad in the holder with navigon, but it is easier as I don't have to use that extra hardware and have wires running around. And I do miss the feature of Navigon that gives you the speed limit on any road you are on. I implement that my running Navigon on my phone and linking that into my car system via BT, but it only works when I'm using the iPhone as a source for audio.

I had these bits of stiff form that I used to brace the iPad against the dash. That cut down on the vibrations. I'm sure you can dream up some way to minimize them.

Well for me, I also have a older car — 2001 model — and now have just mounted my new iPad! (woohoo!) I have only two cables, and they're neatly tucked away.

The biggest issue around this whole concept isn't the mounting or the wires or the cost of the Navigon app.

Instead, it's the MONTHLY DATA PLAN costs. I'm cheap. I don't own any other mobile device except for the iPad3. So I have to manage it. I get Verizon's $20=1GB for one month, which is twice as much as I need (for the week that I go mobile about three times a year). No way am I gonna pay 12 months for any data plan!

So the iPad solution is way way more expensive compared to an old hand held Garmin GPS that only consume AA batteries. This is a very interesting discussion.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well for me, I also have a older car — 2001 model — and now have just mounted my new iPad! (woohoo!) I have only two cables, and they're neatly tucked away.

The biggest issue around this whole concept isn't the mounting or the wires or the cost of the Navigon app.

Instead, it's the MONTHLY DATA PLAN costs. I'm cheap. I don't own any other mobile device except for the iPad3. So I have to manage it. I get Verizon's $20=1GB for one month, which is twice as much as I need (for the week that I go mobile about three times a year). No way am I gonna pay 12 months for any data plan!

So the iPad solution is way way more expensive compared to an old hand held Garmin GPS that only consume AA batteries. This is a very interesting discussion.

I'm confused....why do you need a data plan for in-car Nav on an iPad? Assuming you have the cellular version and something like Navigon, you don't need a data plan. If ou have the Wifi version, you can just buy a GPS receiver and use BT. No data plan needed.

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I'm confused....why do you need a data plan for in-car Nav on an iPad? Assuming you have the cellular version and something like Navigon, you don't need a data plan. If ou have the Wifi version, you can just buy a GPS receiver and use BT. No data plan needed.

That would be a dream come true — my little handheld GPS acting as a WiFi hotspot.

Or which particular model GPS receiver are you talking about? I can already foresee myself dividing the total initial cost of it by the cost of a monthly data plan to project the longevity or "break even point."

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
A Bluetooth GPS isn't a hotspot as such.. It just connects to the iPad (or any other device for that matter) using a radio signal rather than a cable. Here's a link to one model:

Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: GPS & Navigation ..

There are more.. Just search for "bluetooth GPS iPad"

Interesting!

It doesn't specifically mention compatibility with any of the map apps (either Apple's or Google's). I suppose they would work okay (while roaming outside without cellular signal) but only for the GPS positional data? So for example, address search is not functional? No business names? No places of interest?

Obviously no help for GasBuddy, INRX traffic, ZabCab, Find iPhone, etc.?

tekki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the xpsg150 with my ipad wifi only, I tether my ipad to my iphone so I have access to any Internet stuff I want and it works like a dream, the Bluetooth GPS addon device works fantastic. Couldn't be happier. Definitely recommended buy. I also use Navigon or google maps, Navigon sometimes takes me out of the way a little but u can't beat the traffic update in app purchase, it has rerouted me around traffic locations.

Most reactions

Latest posts