can i verify that a SEALED nib ipad is not stolen

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by andreak, Jan 29, 2015.

1. andreak

andreak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    there's someone who's selling an ipad air as "sealed" box. is there any way for me to check that the ipad is not stolen, or can i find out about it's history? there's an s/n sticker on the back of each box...would that be a way?

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are several potential problems in buying what is purported to be a new sealed iPad from a private seller.

First; he's advertising the iPad as new, sealed in the box. Lots of people have shrink wrap machines, including scammers.

Second; you have no assurance that the iPad in the box matches the serial number on the box.

Third; there may not even be an iPad in the box, just something that weighs the same.

You can check the serial number on the box to see if it's been reported stolen and what warranty coverage it has remaining, but don't buy it unless you meet the seller in person and open the box before giving him the payment. If the numbers don't match, don't buy it as that alone is proof that it's not new, sealed in the box.

Here's where to check the warranty status of the iPad.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

The date the warranty coverage started should match what the seller says about when it was purchased.

You also want to check if the iPad is iCloud locked with a previous owner's Apple ID and password.

#2 scifan57, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015