What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use iPad charger on iphone

macfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I just got an iPhone but no charger lead.can I use my iPad one on it or is the voltage different for it ?
Or I will have to visit eBay for one

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
macfoot said:
Hi I just got an iPhone but no charger lead.can I use my iPad one on it or is the voltage different for it ?
Or I will have to visit eBay for one

Yes you can. The iPhone will draw only what it needs so don't worry. But charging an iPad with an iPhone charger does not work that well. It will charge but a lot slower.

VicoPad addict!

Nessaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually they got the same charger so dont worry about sharing one. (Just if they are for the same country)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually they got the same charger so dont worry about sharing one. (Just if they are for the same country)

That is incorrect. The adapter which comes with the iPad is rated to 10W, and the adapter which comes with the iPhone/iPod is only 5W. This means that if you charge an iPad with the iPhone adapter, it will charge a lot more slowly.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
definitely, they are not really the same. iphone charger gives off 5w, while ipad ones 10w. that is why it's faster to use an ipad charger to charge your iphone. and the opposite if the other way around.

Nessaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
definitely, they are not really the same. iphone charger gives off 5w, while ipad ones 10w. that is why it's faster to use an ipad charger to charge your iphone. and the opposite if the other way around.

Thanks for correcting:eek:
iPad chargers do have higher voltage.
But I dont think higher voltage makes faster charge although the opposite makes the other way around.
When using iPad charger on iPhone, the charger automatically lowers the current to avoid damaging the device.
So it's alright to share an "iPad" charger :D

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Indeed I was skeptical as while charging iPhone I was feeling overheating in charger? So was worried abt battery dying quick? Same worries for charging MacBook air 45w charged insted by 86 watt charger of MacBook pro?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting:eek: iPad chargers do have higher voltage. But I dont think higher voltage makes faster charge although the opposite makes the other way around.

I think you mean "watts", as "voltage" is quite different from wattage and cannot be used interchangeably. Current iPod and iPad adapters are both rated identically at 5V. The difference is in the current (amps) which they supply - iPod adapters are 1A and iPad adapters are 2.1A. Thus, using the basic formula Amps x Volts = Watts, you will get 1A x 5V = 5W and 2A x 5V = 10W respectively.

Also, the rated capacity of the adapter simply stipulates the amount of power which it can supply up to; it is up to the individual device to draw the requisite amount of power it needs, rather than the adapter "pushing" current to the device. Thus, an iPod connected to an iPad charger would still draw 1A for charging even though the adapter can easily supply twice that; conversely, an iPad connected to an iPod charger would only be able to draw 1A, and that is why it charges slowly.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Indeed I was skeptical as while charging iPhone I was feeling overheating in charger? So was worried abt battery dying quick? Same worries for charging MacBook air 45w charged insted by 86 watt charger of MacBook pro?

It's quite normal for power adapters to heat up whilst charging. As it says in the Macbook manual:

"Make sure the AC plug or AC power cord is fully inserted into the power adapter before plugging the adapter into a power outlet... The power adapter may become very warm during normal use. Always put the power adapter directly into a power outlet, or place it on the floor in a well-ventilated location."

The way an adapter is rated in terms of wattage is the amount which it supplies up to, so a 45W adapter can supply at most that much power to a device. Adapters do not "push their max" in supplying current, so a 45W device plugged into a 86W adapter would still only pull 45W from the adapter. If the 86W adapter (in this example) became hot enough to catch fire, then it is a defect in the hardware or even user negligence (e.g. putting the adapter on a cotton blanket, etc.)

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charging your iPhone with your iPad charger is like charging on steroids.. It'll get your there FAST!

No harm at all, just a blazing fast charge...

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
It's quite normal for power adapters to heat up whilst charging. As it says in the Macbook manual:

"Make sure the AC plug or AC power cord is fully inserted into the power adapter before plugging the adapter into a power outlet... The power adapter may become very warm during normal use. Always put the power adapter directly into a power outlet, or place it on the floor in a well-ventilated location."

The way an adapter is rated in terms of wattage is the amount which it supplies up to, so a 45W adapter can supply at most that much power to a device. Adapters do not "push their max" in supplying current, so a 45W device plugged into a 86W adapter would still only pull 45W from the adapter. If the 86W adapter (in this example) became hot enough to catch fire, then it is a defect in the hardware or even user negligence (e.g. putting the adapter on a cotton blanket, etc.)

Thanks ! Master:)

My point is if I use 85 watt rated to MacBook air to charge or vice versatile, 45 watt rated MacBook air charger with my MacBook pro, what will happen and if it is all safe? Please advise

Reaction score
ZibaWal said:
Thanks ! Master:)

My point is if I use 85 watt rated to MacBook air to charge or vice versatile, 45 watt rated MacBook air charger with my MacBook pro, what will happen and if it is all safe? Please advise

Bad idea.

You can charge the MBA with both chargers, but please don't use the MBA charger with your MB. The thing is, each charger is designed to output a certain voltage and current and is built to safely work at these specifications, but if you attach a device which draws more current (the voltage is the same), than the charger is designed for, the charger can overheat.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Bad idea.

You can charge the MBA with both chargers, but please don't use the MBA charger with your MB. The thing is, each charger is designed to output a certain voltage and current and is built to safely work at these specifications, but if you attach a device which draws more current (the voltage is the same), than the charger is designed for, the charger can overheat.

Thanks a million, so currently we have a45 watt MBA charger a 65 watt mbp and 85 watt mbp 15 inch adapter. So what u saying is mbp chargers are ok with MBA, but don't use MBA charger to MacBook pro, for potential over heat? Did I get it right?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charging your iPhone with your iPad charger is like charging on steroids.. It'll get your there FAST!

Again, there seems to be a misconception that a charger "pushes" electricity to the device, i.e. if a charger is rated at twice the wattage, the device charges twice as fast. This is, generally speaking, not true.

The power adapter is a transformer which regulates the amount of charge that flows to the device. It does not "push" its maximum rated charge to the device; rather, it is the device which draws the requisite charge it needs to charge its internal battery. If it's connected to a higher-rated adapter, it still draws whatever charge it was designed for.

Most reactions

Latest posts