What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use a smartphone as a wifi hotspot and tether my ipad2 to it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any guides on how to?

Contact your carrier and get upgraded to a tethering plan (you'll pay more for it). Then, there will be a place within your phone's settings for you to turn on the WiFi broadcast/signal (every phone is different and I don't tether, so I can't be more specific than that).

Once the WiFi signal is being broadcasted by the phone , go to your Settings on the iPad. On the left side in Settings, select the WiFi line and then browse for and choose the ad-hoc WiFi network you've created with your phone. Then, start browsing away on the iPad.

Marilyn

OP
akkib89

akkib89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Contact your carrier and get upgraded to a tethering plan (you'll pay more for it). Then, there will be a place within your phone's settings for you to turn on the WiFi broadcast/signal (every phone is different and I don't tether, so I can't be more specific than that).

Once the WiFi signal is being broadcasted by the phone , go to your Settings on the iPad. On the left side in Settings, select the WiFi line and then browse for and choose the ad-hoc WiFi network you've created with your phone. Then, start browsing away on the iPad.

Marilyn

I contacted my cellular service provider and they said that users actually do use "hotspot-enabled" phones to tether their ipads for occasional internet browsing and all their plans support that, ranging from 50mb plan to the unlimited plan(450gb usage). Seems like I can now buy a S II.(I was earlier thinking of getting an xperia s but my friends told me tethering is much easier on samsung and htc phones than on a sony phone).

OP
akkib89

akkib89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sl8er1 said:
Can somebody give a guide as to how to do this? Does the use of the iPad through this way, go towards the set Internet minutes you have with your phone network provider for downloads or web minutes?

I would say that if your phone has 3 gb of downloading still left then the same thing will go for your iPad.

Glock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All android versions over 2.2 have wifi-Tether... If not your carrier has removed it

[Moderator edit: Removed external link to another forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:

dan in andover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not very experienced with these phones, but it should connect to your wifi, as long as its a somewhat strong signal where you are. 3G lets you browse the Internet, but 4G is usually the best and fastest at browsing. I know in big cities, some of them have free 4G, or for 1 cent.

You say you have an Ipad 2 (2nd generation). Can you use a hotspot from an iphone with it. I see both yes and no answers to this on the formum ??
thanks,
Dan

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dan in andover said:
You say you have an Ipad 2 (2nd generation). Can you use a hotspot from an iphone with it. I see both yes and no answers to this on the formum ??
thanks,
Dan

The answer is yes, you can tether an iPad 2 or any iPad to the wifi hotspot from an iPhone or any other device capable of providing a wifi hotspot, such as a mifi device.

Most reactions

Latest posts