1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Can I switch Mac to pc without losing data?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by snivijamie, May 10, 2013.

1. snivijamie

snivijamie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all. My MacBook just died and I'm wondering if I can plug my ipad into my wife's pc laptop without having to reformat. I am a photographer and will be shooting a wedding tomorrow. During the reception I will need to upload some images to the ipad and may not have internet access. I know I can back everything up on my iMac before making the switch but I was just hoping I can go between the two for this weekend until I have a chance to buy a new MacBook next week. Is this possible?

Thanks!
  2. oberkc

oberkc iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Fortunately, I think you are in luck here. Plugging an iPad into the USB port of a PC (at least mine, windows 7 and 8) allows drag-and-drop of pictures onto the DCIM folder (and only that folder...no other file access is provided).

For broader file sharing with a PC via USB cable, you will need to use iTunes or download an app (often with corresponding program for PC) for sharing of files between the two. I happen to use fileapp pro for this.

For pictures, though, I think this will work out well for you.
    Last edited: May 10, 2013