What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I "retrain" my keyboard?

Bemuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may well be user error or whatever, but I constantly find that when I intended to hit O I get I instead, and when I intended to hit I, I get U. So maybe my fingers slide a little too far to the left, but it would be nice if I could teach the keyboard to be prepared for that and actually look for my strokes to be a little off center for those two letters. I remember years back, I had a PDA and I could train it to detect where the stylus was intending to be touched. Is there anything like that for iPad? It's definitely annoying, but I hate AutoCorrect so turning that on would be out of the frying pan and into the fire for me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may well be user error or whatever, but I constantly find that when I intended to hit O I get I instead, and when I intended to hit I, I get U. So maybe my fingers slide a little too far to the left, but it would be nice if I could teach the keyboard to be prepared for that and actually look for my strokes to be a little off center for those two letters. I remember years back, I had a PDA and I could train it to detect where the stylus was intending to be touched. Is there anything like that for iPad? It's definitely annoying, but I hate AutoCorrect so turning that on would be out of the frying pan and into the fire for me.

Hi, welcome to iPF!

While there are a few apps that should help you improve your typing skills on iPad keyboard, like TapTyping or Type trainer HD, there are none to train the keyboard itself. There's also no way to adjust this in Settings, as far as I know.

ElectronicMile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem at first, but it just takes some getting used to. I adapted pretty quickly. The only problem for me is the constant changing between Dutch, English and Spanish keyboards. Three different layouts...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same problem at first, but it just takes some getting used to. I adapted pretty quickly. The only problem for me is the constant changing between Dutch, English and Spanish keyboards. Three different layouts...

Do you have to switch keyboards? I have 3 enabled, but mostly use an English keyboard.

OP
B

Bemuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

While there are a few apps that should help you improve your typing skills on iPad keyboard, like TapTyping or Type trainer HD, there are none to train the keyboard itself. There's also no way to adjust this in Settings, as far as I know.

Okay, that's disappointing. Thanks for answering though.

OP
B

Bemuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem at first, but it just takes some getting used to. I adapted pretty quickly.

I have had this iPad since 2012 and use it every day as really my primary "computer". But it still happens to me constantly. I guess I don't adapt as well as you do, unfortunately.

ElectronicMile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have to switch keyboards? I have 3 enabled, but mostly use an English keyboard.

I could just use one, but I have autocorrect enabled, and it links the language to your keyboard. For example, I started typing this with the Dutch keyboard. The problem is that it didn't recognize the words and changed some of them into Dutch words. That's why I switched to the English keyboard.

I have had this iPad since 2012 and use it every day as really my primary "computer". But it still happens to me constantly. I guess I don't adapt as well as you do, unfortunately.

I still make mistakes, certainly with QWERTY keyboards, but all in all it's way better than in the beginning. My typing on the iPad is not perfect, but all in all it's pretty fluent now. Nothing beats a physical keyboard, though.

Most reactions