What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I rename that "app containing those other apps".

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I managed to transfer a number of PDF files to my new iPad for leisurely viewing when away from the PC and happily discovered that I can "drag and drop" one app into another after starting that entertaining app-wiggling that would put Chubby Checker to shame. (Yes I know, that ages me LOL) These were files comprising mainly post WW2 lengthy trial transcripts and related reading. I dragged them into an existing app Acrobat Reader, an appropriate app for reading those PDF files, and there was this new app created that my iPad decided it would label "Business". I can live with that I suppose although what is in that "Business" app has really nothing to do with spread sheets, the stock market or a hot dog stand. Is there a way I can rename this app to suit its contents better? ... And how does the iPad decide to issue a name?
Any advice that would add to my knowledge of my new machine will be appreciated.
Cheers, Andrew

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
I managed to transfer a number of PDF files to my new iPad for leisurely viewing when away from the PC and happily discovered that I can "drag and drop" one app into another after starting that entertaining app-wiggling that would put Chubby Checker to shame. (Yes I know, that ages me LOL) These were files comprising mainly post WW2 lengthy trial transcripts and related reading. I dragged them into an existing app Acrobat Reader, an appropriate app for reading those PDF files, and there was this new app created that my iPad decided it would label "Business". I can live with that I suppose although what is in that "Business" app has really nothing to do with spread sheets, the stock market or a hot dog stand. Is there a way I can rename this app to suit its contents better? ... And how does the iPad decide to issue a name?
Any advice that would add to my knowledge of my new machine will be appreciated.
Cheers, Andrew

Hello there, what you have done is created a folder. This can be done with all apps to group them together. You can rename that folder quite easily. When you put the app into wiggle mode and drag it into the other app. The folder opens with both apps in below. Where it says business you can just tap on the name business (in the white box) or on the x to the side of it and call it whatever you please. I think it names the folder based on what category it is in iTunes, ie productivity games etc

There's an excellent thread on this forum do a search for tips and tricks and you should read it. Alternatively a mod may drop the link here for you soon if there feeling kind :)
There's loads of tips that you probably would not know about and it's worth reading every page. Sorry it's difficult for me to post the link here as I'm using the forums app.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Riley, and your advice did the trick. I must say your response certainly saved me much reading. At times it's a bit confusing for a "noob" like me to work out where to look to pick out all the relevant material available to become familiar with my new iPad, and having enough to time quickly come up to the level of competence that you obviously enjoy.
And I thought I would get in early to confirm this thread is now closed to ensure that any "Mod" need not now devote time and trouble to add to your very helpfully answer.
Cheers, Andrew

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I think this is the link "Therealriley" was alluding to.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html

If you want to supply a link, go to the title of any thread, and touch the arrow next to the title. This will open the web page view within the app. Then go to the action button and select the choice "Copy Link". Now you can paste it into the forum, all without leaving the app.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Well that makes it easier! I've been on here for months now and had no idea of that. Many thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts