What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I reduce the sensitivity of iPad touchscreen?

Wfmetcalf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I mentioned in my Introductory Message that I was experiencing some frustrations with my new iPad.

i think about 90% of my problems are the result of the touchscreen being way too sensitive for my hand. I am constantly having to correct extraneous or duplicate characters. Other times, the cursor is sent to the wrong place on the screen. All together these events seriously impact my experience on an otherwise fabulous machine.

Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen?

Thanks in advance,

wfmetcalf

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting that you find it too sensitive. I often find it not sensitive enough. There is no way to adjust it as far as I know.

OP
W

Wfmetcalf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi!

Thanks for your quick reply. You'd think that since one size doesn't fit all, that that would provide a motive to provide such an adjustment.

Oh well, maybe in iOS 8.;)

Wfmetcalf

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I mentioned in my Introductory Message that I was experiencing some frustrations with my new iPad.

i think about 90% of my problems are the result of the touchscreen being way too sensitive for my hand. I am constantly having to correct extraneous or duplicate characters. Other times, the cursor is sent to the wrong place on the screen. All together these events seriously impact my experience on an otherwise fabulous machine.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As already stated, there is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the iPad touchscreen - sorry :(

Now the iPad's touchscreen is a capacitive type which means that it responds to your finger being placed on a spot (the pressure applied is not important as w/ other screen technologies), AND then records an event when your finger is released - that is the reason if you keep your finger on the screen, you can simply slide it to another area (e.g. pressing on the wrong letter - don't release, but slide to the correct one) - SO, keep this fact in mind which may help you to avoid unwanted entries - good luck! Dave

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't adjust the screen's sensitivity. Makeshift alternatives would be to use a Bluetooth keyboard or a stylus, but I do see where you're coming from with the sensitivity being too high. Sometimes when I lean my palm on my screen, it somewhat initiates a tap as well. You can also try one of the slightly thicker screen protectors like Zagg's Invisishield to slightly decrease the sensitivity, but a stylus or keyboard serves for a slightly more productive investment than a screen protector.

OP
W

Wfmetcalf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. If this issue continues to frustrate me too much, I may go back to the wireless keyboard I originally bought with the iPad.

Last edited:

Merv Rosenquist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but I too have issues with the screen sensitivity, I have neuropathy which is dead small nerve endings. I can't feel how much pressure I'm putting on something. I've been known to break thin drinking glasses by holding them too tight but not knowing it.
I have learned how to use the deeper nerves but things that are really sensitive are still tough to deal with for people with my condition. Many diabetics have this problem.

I found a solution to the iPad sensitivity issue. I installed 2 screen protectors and it works very well for me. The more screen protectors, the harder you have to press on the screen.

Hope this helps!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but I too have issues with the screen sensitivity, I have neuropathy which is dead small nerve endings. I can't feel how much pressure I'm putting on something. I've been known to break thin drinking glasses by holding them too tight but not knowing it.
I have learned how to use the deeper nerves but things that are really sensitive are still tough to deal with for people with my condition. Many diabetics have this problem.

I found a solution to the iPad sensitivity issue. I installed 2 screen protectors and it works very well for me. The more screen protectors, the harder you have to press on the screen.

Hope this helps!

@Merv Rosenquist ...thank you very much for your helpful post! Many people have the condition of diabetes, so this will be quite helpful for them if they ever need it.

KeelyOwens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with solutions for the opposite issue? I work with individuals with developmental disabilities, and we're implementing I{ads as assistive technology. Some of them have the problem that their touch is too light. (We have others whose touch is too heavy or too diffuse, but the light touch problem seems like it would be the most difficult to fix.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Keely

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with solutions for the opposite issue? I work with individuals with developmental disabilities, and we're implementing I{ads as assistive technology. Some of them have the problem that their touch is too light. (We have others whose touch is too heavy or too diffuse, but the light touch problem seems like it would be the most difficult to fix.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Keely
As has been earlier mentioned in this thread there is, unfortunately, no way to adjust the sensitivity of the touchscreen itself. There are no adjustment features built into the software or hardware on the iPad or any other iOS device. There is a workaround to decrease the apparent sensitivity of the touchscreen by using thicker or multiple screen protectors. For someone with a very light touch there is no way to make the screen properly respond to a touch that's too light.

It's possible that a stylus may help. You could try a few different models to see if it makes a difference.

TouchyFeely

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't adjust the screen's sensitivity. Makeshift alternatives would be to use a Bluetooth keyboard or a stylus, but I do see where you're coming from with the sensitivity being too high. Sometimes when I lean my palm on my screen, it somewhat initiates a tap as well. You can also try one of the slightly thicker screen protectors like Zagg's Invisishield to slightly decrease the sensitivity, but a stylus or keyboard serves for a slightly more productive investment than a screen protector.

Sensitivity CAN be adjusted on the iPad.

How To:
1) Go to Settings > General > Accessibility
2) Under Accessibility menu scroll down to Interaction
3) Settings to be adjusted as needed are:
  • Assistive Touch - for users having difficulty touching the screen
  • Touch Accommodations - allows you to adjust how the screen responds to touches
  • Keyboard - allows you to adjust the amount of time between key presses before a press is registered
4) Explore each of the above and make adjustments to meet your needs.

I am a user who sought out an answer to this problem and found that there were a number of cerebral palsy sufferers who asked the same question. The answer I found in most cases was "you can't adjust the screen's sensitivity." I inadvertently asked my question in a user forum asking "if" Apple had any plans to add in to their iOS updates a way to modify keyboard sensitivity. The first response I received got on me for daring to ask a question outside the parameters of the forum (i.e., user to user) saying I was going against the forums terms and conditions. The second response was kindly answered by the host of the forum and provided the above steps to help out. I hope anyone requiring to adjust the iPad to meet their physical needs will find this post helpful.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sensitivity CAN be adjusted on the iPad.

How To:
1) Go to Settings > General > Accessibility
2) Under Accessibility menu scroll down to Interaction
3) Settings to be adjusted as needed are:
  • Assistive Touch - for users having difficulty touching the screen
  • Touch Accommodations - allows you to adjust how the screen responds to touches
  • Keyboard - allows you to adjust the amount of time between key presses before a press is registered
4) Explore each of the above and make adjustments to meet your needs.

I am a user who sought out an answer to this problem and found that there were a number of cerebral palsy sufferers who asked the same question. The answer I found in most cases was "you can't adjust the screen's sensitivity." I inadvertently asked my question in a user forum asking "if" Apple had any plans to add in to their iOS updates a way to modify keyboard sensitivity. The first response I received got on me for daring to ask a question outside the parameters of the forum (i.e., user to user) saying I was going against the forums terms and conditions. The second response was kindly answered by the host of the forum and provided the above steps to help out. I hope anyone requiring to adjust the iPad to meet their physical needs will find this post helpful.
Assistive touch and Touch Accommodations don't actually change the touch sensitivity of the iPad screen, they just offer alternative methods of accessing touchscreen functions. Use AssistiveTouch on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
Use Touch Accommodations with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Last edited:

Wtwalker01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

Wtwalker01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A simple solution would be to buy/obtain 5or6 screen protectors, and then place each one, giving time, to test each one for the desired change in sensitivity, before placing the next one on the top of the one you just tested, and repeat this process until you get the sensitivity you want; if you continue with this process, you are guaranteed to obtain the sensitivity you desire. Hopefully, the sensitivity you want will not require too many screen protectors which would cause trouble seeing the screen. Bye the way, you can buy laminated plastic for laminating paper in books real cheap at Walmart, Office Depot, etc. if you don't like the material, at least you could use it to find out how many soft plastic screen protectors you will need to get.

P.S. please let me know how it works out for you.

Bill W.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts