Can I reduce the sensitivity of iPad touchscreen?

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Wfmetcalf, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Wfmetcalf

Wfmetcalf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone!

I mentioned in my Introductory Message that I was experiencing some frustrations with my new iPad.

i think about 90% of my problems are the result of the touchscreen being way too sensitive for my hand. I am constantly having to correct extraneous or duplicate characters. Other times, the cursor is sent to the wrong place on the screen. All together these events seriously impact my experience on an otherwise fabulous machine.

Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen?

Thanks in advance,

wfmetcalf

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Interesting that you find it too sensitive. I often find it not sensitive enough. There is no way to adjust it as far as I know.

3. Wfmetcalf

Wfmetcalf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    hi!

Thanks for your quick reply. You'd think that since one size doesn't fit all, that that would provide a motive to provide such an adjustment.

Oh well, maybe in iOS 8.;)

Wfmetcalf

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As already stated, there is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the iPad touchscreen - sorry :(

Now the iPad's touchscreen is a capacitive type which means that it responds to your finger being placed on a spot (the pressure applied is not important as w/ other screen technologies), AND then records an event when your finger is released - that is the reason if you keep your finger on the screen, you can simply slide it to another area (e.g. pressing on the wrong letter - don't release, but slide to the correct one) - SO, keep this fact in mind which may help you to avoid unwanted entries - good luck! Dave

5. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    First time I saw anyone thinks that the iPad screen is too sensitive.

6. willerz2

willerz2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately you can't adjust the screen's sensitivity. Makeshift alternatives would be to use a Bluetooth keyboard or a stylus, but I do see where you're coming from with the sensitivity being too high. Sometimes when I lean my palm on my screen, it somewhat initiates a tap as well. You can also try one of the slightly thicker screen protectors like Zagg's Invisishield to slightly decrease the sensitivity, but a stylus or keyboard serves for a slightly more productive investment than a screen protector.

7. Wfmetcalf

Wfmetcalf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. If this issue continues to frustrate me too much, I may go back to the wireless keyboard I originally bought with the iPad.

#7 Wfmetcalf, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. Merv Rosenquist

Merv Rosenquist
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I know this thread is a little old but I too have issues with the screen sensitivity, I have neuropathy which is dead small nerve endings. I can't feel how much pressure I'm putting on something. I've been known to break thin drinking glasses by holding them too tight but not knowing it.
    I have learned how to use the deeper nerves but things that are really sensitive are still tough to deal with for people with my condition. Many diabetics have this problem.

I found a solution to the iPad sensitivity issue. I installed 2 screen protectors and it works very well for me. The more screen protectors, the harder you have to press on the screen.

Hope this helps!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  9. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:

@Merv Rosenquist ...thank you very much for your helpful post! Many people have the condition of diabetes, so this will be quite helpful for them if they ever need it.

10. KeelyOwens

KeelyOwens
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone come up with solutions for the opposite issue? I work with individuals with developmental disabilities, and we're implementing I{ads as assistive technology. Some of them have the problem that their touch is too light. (We have others whose touch is too heavy or too diffuse, but the light touch problem seems like it would be the most difficult to fix.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keely