What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I recover or extract an app from a backup file? Tried a restore, got an error.

kq702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to restore my ipad back to 9/22 because I have an app that has not worked since the app had an update last week, (so the update caused a malfunction with the app). I need to use the app for work if possible- it would make things much easier if I could use it, so I backed my ipad up on another computer and plugged into my original computer (the one I did the backup on, way back on 9/22) and I clicked restore from that version, and after 10 minutes or so I got an error: itunes could not restore the ipad because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the ipad being restored.

I assume this may be due to the iOS 6 update (I believe I backed it up right before I did the update). I know I can not go back to the old OS, so I take it there is an incompatibility preventing the backup from going through.

Is there any way to force the backup (even if some apps are buggy that is fine, as long as I can use my work program I would be happy). If that will not work then is there any way to manually backup or extract an app from the backup file itunes created? If so then I could delete the current installation of the app on the ipad, and manually install the older version.

Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
App are not stored in the backup file, only their data.

If you've been syncing the Apps themselves in the Apps library in iTunes on the computer (and have not updated it there) then you can use that file to recover.

But the first thing to try is to delete the app off the iPad, then re-download it. This often works, provided it's not something introduced by the developer with the update. Best way to find that out is to read the reviews in the App Store. People are quick to complain about that sort of thing.

If you have files or data in the app, figure out how to export it before deleting the app. You'll lose the data when the app is deleted.

OP
K

kq702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet- just wanted to say thanks, you are a life saver!

Most reactions

Latest posts