What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I record interviews with iPad mini?

mrmayor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to take advantage of the long battery life for interviewing people or even making a video - is it possible?

Thank you

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
it is possible to make a video of an interview....but it is not clear (to me) how long you can record a single video. I've never tried more than 5 or 6 minutes. I know that camersa have to stop at 29 minutes else there is some issue with being a camcorder. Also, you have finite memory on an iPad mini...so what happens when you run out of memory? Another issue is that if you keep the screen running constantly the battery will drain quicker, so you will need to keep the brightness down. And if you have low-light situations, then the image quality will suffer.

Last edited:

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Storage might be the challenge, but there is always the cloud. You might want a stand like Infiniapps if you want to hold the camera position longer than 5 minutes.

OP
M

mrmayor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is possible to make a video of an interview....but it is not clear (to me) how long you can record a single video. I've never tried more than 5 or 6 minutes. I know that camersa have to stop at 29 minutes else there is some issue with being a camcorder. Also, you have finite memory on an iPad mini...so what happens when you run out of memory? Another issue is that if you keep the screen running constantly the battery will drain quicker, so you will need to keep the brightness down. And if you have low-light situations, then the image quality will suffer.

I did not think of using the video feature, just to use it as a tape recorder which then transcribes words into text. Is there a good text processor you recommend for my use? Thanks

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use evernote to record each. The transcription is the hard part. I tried using dragon dictate on my MacBook Pro, evernote is on all my devices so easy to get the file. But the accuracy when the interview goes back and forth between people suffered.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my mini when we have doctor's appointments to record what is said to refer back to later (at our age we often forget details ;) ) and this week I forgot to switch it off, resulting in a 4h 27m 33s 675MB recording by the time the battery ran down!
So at least a voice recording ad infinitum is technically possible as long as the app you are using allows it. I've never tried recording a video but imagine it would be similar.
Now all I have got to do is work out how to "extract" the 10 minutes I want!! ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts