What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I print from the ipad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a Mac, you can use Printopia to get seamless AirPrint printing to any printer available to that Mac, plus a few bonus features. I'm not aware of a Windows equivalent, which seems strange.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a Windows version of Printopia:

Printopia for windows - Printopia windows - Printopia for pc - air print ? Printopia | Daily Prezz

But I can't vouch for it, might help you out though....As for printing without the PC on, I will keep looking, but you may have to wait for Brother on that one. It usually means installing the printer with the cable attached to the pc first, then following the wireless instructions. Might be worth trying this (refer to your printer's manual and DVD)

Jeff

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, being the impatient person that I am, I went ahead and purchased Print N Share, and it works, umm, "ok." It works better with wePrint (their PC Server app.) I got better quality prints by using wePrint. I'm still trying to figure out how to print from various other programs, such as Notes Plus (GREAT app!)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That link doesn't point you to Windows version of Printopia. Except for a the last couple of lines, which appear to be a fragment from another article, it doesn't even mention Windows.

I've searched all over Ecamm's site to see if they make a windows version, and can find no mention of it.

I believe you've been a victim of yet another site the draws views by side tracking search results with less than honest metadata.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I was intrigued enough to do some more searching, and inevitably I found the answer right here on the forum. The closest thing to Printopia for Windows seems to be AirPrint Activator for Windows. It does not offer any extras besides being able to print to a printer through a Windows machine, but that's better than nothing.

Like Printopia, it is only a good solution for a single location where you have a computer that is on most of the time, and can connect to a printer. But if your situation fits, then it's a better solution than most of the current crop of iPad print apps, at least every since PrintCentral got it's API's chopped off.

http://www.ipadforums.net/airprint/13696-windows-32-64-bit-airprint-activator.html

Technochick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using an eosin printer that is wifi enabled check their site :) they have an app which is free - got my 2 today and already up and running with the printer - so easy compared to windows lol

gma99611

iPF Noob
Reaction score
air print

Will print n share app allow you to print web pages too?

Your printer may be directly compatible with the iPad.

You can check the list here

Apple - iPad - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

If it's on that list, then you will be able to print directly without any third-party app. If it's not, then one of the suggestions provided by other Forum members will work just fine.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any further problems. Printing does cause some 'issues' with members, so you might need a little patience. I use Print N Share and it works just fine with my Samsung printer - definitely not AirPrint compatible - so don't worry, you will be able to print but it may take a bit of 'research'.

Tim

So what I'm reading leads me to believe that this only works with WiFi, not thru 3G?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So what I'm reading leads me to believe that this only works with WiFi, not thru 3G?

Correct. AirPrint works over Wifi.

There is a new HP service that works through email, where you printer is assigned a special email address by HP, and you can mail documents to it for printing. The reviews I saw say it's not 100% reliable, but other than a VPN connection back to your home network it's the only 3g printing solution I can think of.

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a snapshot of a webpage with your iPad 2.

Do this by holding down the home key and then quickly press the power button. Your iPad 2 screen will flash white and then save a copy of that webpage as a photo.

I then use my free Canon iEPP app to wirelessly print the webpage on my Canon Pixma printer. Not perfect... but it does the job!:D

Most reactions

Latest posts