What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i play the avi movie file?

pankaj454k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Can i play the avi movie file directly in iPad 2 ? I am going to purchase iPad2 but i have one query is it possible to play avi file directly or not.

Thanks.
pankaj
:ipad-movie:

wendelld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it will not play avi's natively but you can use MOVIE PLAYER app or VLC STREAMER if you wnt to stream movies from your pc.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad plays - from Apple Web Site

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo*audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC*audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720*pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

But almost any format can be converted to play on the iPad.

Tim

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Can i play the avi movie file directly in iPad 2 ? I am going to purchase iPad2 but i have one query is it possible to play avi file directly or not.

Thanks.
pankaj
:ipad-movie:

I use the vlc app , it plays avi well.It just doesnt support vga out yet :(

OP
P

pankaj454k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for quick response. Ya I can use VLC streamer for playing avi.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for free app you could use vlc streamer( but you need to be conected to a pc or laptop nearby) or better ask any of your friend(who owns a iphone/itouch) to send you the vlc player(this is what i did)

The default player only playes mp4

use the vlcplayer, that one doesnt need you to connect to your pc or laptop.

Big_D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Goodplayer. So far I've been able to play avi and vob (rip from dvd without conversion) files without any problems. Just transfer files from itunes to ipad. Great for the long subway rides.

Mac.World

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AVPlayer HD

Take a look in the app store. Will play any format. Supports srt and subtitles. Utilize swipe gestures for speeding up, slowing down, volume, etc... Can use Bluetooth headsets with it as well.

I have vlc and this is better.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another one to check out is Buzz Player HD, I like this one quite a bit. If you don't want to buy an app then download handbrake HandBrake for free and there is a preset for the iPad to convert different formats to H.264 format. It works pretty fast and I haven't had any problems with it. One thing to keep in mind is a majority of movies are formated for 16:9 but the iPad is 4:3 so you are going to have some dead space above and below the movie. There is a zoom button to fill the entire screen but if you choose that then you will lose view on both sides of the movie.

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently playing almost formats I'd video files on my iPad 2 using vlc player

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the VLC Streamer app. Works great. Most of my kids videos are WMA format. VLC converts and streams them great. Another must have app for Window7 owners.

Most reactions

Latest posts