What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I multitask with Safari, or any other browser

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a non jailbroken ipad2 with 5.01. I use a "live video" (not youtube based) feature of some web sites. I don't always care about the video, but need the audio. The problem is that if I make another web page the main focus, or navigate away from Safari, the feed completely stops. If I go back to the page, I need to hit the "play" button. Without jailbreaking, is there some way to keep the audio, when the page is not directly in focus? If not is there a way to do this, if the ipad was jailbroken?

Thanks

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a non jailbroken ipad2 with 5.01. I use a "live video" (not youtube based) feature of some web sites. I don't always care about the video, but need the audio. The problem is that if I make another web page the main focus, or navigate away from Safari, the feed completely stops. If I go back to the page, I need to hit the "play" button. Without jailbreaking, is there some way to keep the audio, when the page is not directly in focus? If not is there a way to do this, if the ipad was jailbroken?

Thanks
Video takes priority over everything else on the iPad. If it were an audio-only feed then you could multitask, however unfortunately there's no multitasking with video from any source. As you've found, as soon as you navigate away from it, either by opening another tab in Safari or opening another app the video will stop. I don't know that it's even possible to do what you'd like with a jailbroken iPad.

I'll move this to the iPF Hacking section where others more familiar with jailbreaking may be able to help.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dragon499 said:
If not is there a way to do this, if the ipad was jailbroken?

Thanks

graywolf said:
He said without jailbreaking. So, why is it in the hacking section?

@ Graywolf, really? Did you actually read the post......and have you read the rules regarding arguing with forum staff?

The Archangel

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He said without jailbreaking. So, why is it in the hacking section?
So that folks that have the knowledge can answer the question in more depth for others that may have the same question. Thousands of folks visit the forums so it's not always about the OP...or you. ;)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you do it with a JB ipad?

Yes.
Backgrounder, but I don't really recommend it because it hasn't been updated since like 4.3.3.
And, you have iPad 2 on 5.0.1, which there is currently no jailbreak for.

Last edited:

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes.
Backgrounder, but I don't really recommend it because it hasn't been updated since like 4.3.3.
And, you have iPad 2 on 5.0.1, which there is currently no jailbreak for.

I've got the iPad 1, but I guess the same answer applies since it hasn't been updated.

Most reactions

Latest posts