What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I flash this IPSW?? Need help!

Skumchops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this. I recently acquired an ipad on ios4.x i jailbroke, but I want to be on 5.11 so that I can use the apps that I run my business on. Is it as simple as downloading the specific IPSW from apple and then manually selecting it from itunes?? Will I then just be on stock 5.11 ready to be jailbroken?? My Apple savvy friend that there is a special way to get it to IOS 5 and since I'm loaning it from him he does not want to have to restore ios 6 and make it unjailbreakable for however long. My specialty is android but I have defected as the apps for Apple are years beyond android. So I am a newb asking probably a newb question. And yes I did UTMSE. So please just me know if the above procedure would work. And once again thank you for your time.

Skummy

OP
S

Skumchops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that this is an ipad 2. Just in case there was any confusion.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's not a matter of "just" putting the iOS you want onto the iPad. Apple only approves the most current firmware and you've got to jump through hoops (if eligible) to get an iOS you want onto the iPad.

For your situation, if you have the SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 and for any version of iOS 4.x, then you should be able to use the jail break tool redsn0w to get your iPad2 to iOS 5.1.1. Here's the details from the Dev-Team (the makers/releasers of redsn0w):

4. iPad2 owners (all three models) with saved 4.x blobs can use those instead, even from 6.x

if you have both 4.x and 5.x iPad2 blobs, you can always get to 5.x via the 4.x blobs, even if you’re currently on 6.x
you cannot get to 5.x from 6.x without the 4.x blobs (but you may still qualify for the iOS5-to-iOS5 restore described above)
if somehow you have 4.x blobs but no 5.x blobs, you can still go down to 4.x from 6.x
this only applies to iPad2 owners (they’re the only A5+ devices that ever had a public 4.x FW)
redsn0w still supports (but doesn’t require) jailbreaking A5+ devices at 5.0.1 and 5.1.1. Just head back to the first page after re-restoring to 5.x. It’s always much faster to jailbreak those FW versions with a freshly-restored device, before letting iTunes restore from a saved userland backup.

For more information on blobs and why they are important, see this: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

If you have both sets of blobs, then see this link for guidance on how to get the redsn0w tool (and how to use it): RE-RESTORE
http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92572

Hope this helps. Holler back if you have questions.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts